It’s almost Columbus Day, which -- don’t lie -- means you’ve been asking your friends, co-workers and roommates all week if they're going to take Monday off. Maybe you’ve even struggled (in vain) to take the day off yourself. Maybe that’s just me.
Anyway, even if it’s just a two-day celebration, there's a lot going on this weekend. Here’s a Buzz guide of the most unique events:
• Well, first figure out how you’re going to get any of these places. Plan for major Metro disruptions due to track work.
• Sunday through Monday. After eight years, The Taste of DC is returning to the District. Entry is free, but you’ll have to buy the tickets to take a nosh. All We Can Eat has a cheat sheet to best buys for your money. But you can bypass the ticket line by volunteering; @thetasteofdc tweeted Friday afternoon that it needs helpers. One shift gets you either a free concert ticket or 10 free food tickets. That’s, like, five snacks.
• Saturday: Stevie Wonder dance party. Enough said.
• Sunday: This wins the award for the weirdest food-and-drink combination I’ve seen in awhile: McGinty’s Guinness and Oyster Festival kicks off in Silver Spring on Sunday. This event comes complete with an oyster-eating contest and Irish sports demonstrations ... hopefully not immediately after the shellfish gobble.
• Monday: See a YouTube star who is not Justin Bieber live and in-person at 9:30 Club. Boyce Avenue started out by posting covers of popular songs to the video site and used millions of views to parlay that into a singing career. This is why the Internet is great. Here they are covering Adele: