Newt Gingrich to campaign with Mitt Romney
By Rachel Weiner,
Newt Gingrich will campaign with Mitt Romney, Ann Romney isn’t getting involved, Bev Perdue says North Carolina is looking like Mississippi and one class at Liberty cals Mormonism a cult.
Make sure to sign up to get “Afternoon Fix” in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m!
EARLIER ON THE FIX:
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
* Former House speaker Newt Gingrich says he’s doing some events for former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney next week. “I’m helping him in a number of places,” he said. “I’m doing an event next week in Georgia for him and I’m going to speak for him at the Georgia convention next weekend. I’m going to be with him at the end of the month in Las Vegas at a big event, and I’m going to do all I can to help Mitt.”
* Arizona Republican Paul Babeu has dropped his 4th district House bid, opting to run for reelection as Pinal County Sheriff instead. Babeu was considered the GOP frontrunner until February, when a former boyfriend accused the sheriff of threatening him with deportation. Babeu came out as gay but denied the allegations. Babeu was challenging Rep. Paul Gosar (R) from the right.
* President Obama’s campaign has added a section on “clean coal” to its website, listing it among the energy sources the White House supports. A Texas prisoner got 40 percent of the vote in West Virginia’s primary Democratic earlier this week, and many cited Obama’s position on coal as the reason.
* Rep. Connie Mack (R-Fla.) says a statewide mailer sent out at taxpayer expense was an honest mistake, blaming a New Jersey direct mail firm that handles both his campaign and congressional offices. The firm refunded the Treasury nearly $18,000 for the error.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T MISS:
* Romney will be the commencement speaker tomorrow Liberty University, an evangelical Christian school founded by Jerry Falwell. Advance excerpts from Romney’s remarks focus on the importance of family and on the economy, not the candidate’s personal faith. BuzzFeed points out that a class at Liberty calls Mormonism one of the “major cults.”
* North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue (D) had strong words Friday when asked about the state’s vote to ban gay marriage. “People are saying, ‘What in the world is going on with North Carolina?’ We look like Mississippi,” she told reporters.
* Ann Romney told Fox News today that she wasn’t commenting on her husband’s vice-presidential decision. “It’s not like I’m his adviser,” she said. “It’s always fun to talk about, I will tell you.”
* Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and John Krasinski are hosting a fundraiser for Harvard Law Professor Elizabeth Warren. The three Bay State natives will hold the event in Hollywood. Warren has raised huge sums of money; the campaign of Sen. Scott Brown (R) has criticized her out of state fundraising.
THE FIX MIX:
Don’t forget to call your mom.<iframe width=”500” height=”284” src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/-onNgeLkCok?rel=0” frameborder=”0” allowfullscreen></iframe>