Rumors had been swirling that the ratings-challenged series (about an eccentric company with employees who break into places to pinpoint security issues) could rise from the dead. At the Summer TV Press Tour several weeks ago, Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly said that the show “still has a shot.”
“We had a very passionate group of producers and actors who wanted to try to keep it going...they’ve agreed to extend an option, so we’ve kept it alive,” Reilly said. “Stranger things have happened. “
In Thursday’s announcement, Reilly called the series a “creatively vibrant and wildly adventurous comedy,” and added, “We are looking forward to bringing it back for a second season and continuing our relationship with this incredibly talented cast and these fantastic creators.”
In even more exciting news for Slater, this means the actor headlines a series that made it past a first season — which is a change from recently, with NBC’s quickly-canceled “My Own Worst Enemy” and ABC’s similarly-doomed “The Forgotten.”
The “Breaking In” 13-episode order is scheduled to premiere on Fox in 2012.