SNL” impresario Lorne Michaels, who’s also taking over as exec producer of “Tonight” when Fallon boots Leno, will continue to exec produce “Late Night” when Meyers moves in.
Meyers had been considered a slam-dunk to succeed Fallon since NBC announced last month that Fallon would take over as host of “Tonight Show” in ’14. The network finally confirmed the much-forecast Meyers move Sunday afternoon, a few hours before it was scheduled to email its new primetime schedule for next season to The Reporters Who Cover Television, in hopes their coverage of NBC’s plans for next season will lead with the news about the late-night daypart in which NBC is still dominant, rather than its primetime, where it collapses when football and “The Voice” are taking breathers.
On Friday, NBC canceled virtually all of this season’s primetime series in comedy – a genre in which the network was once considered the gold standard – as well as several big-ticket dramas, including “Smash.”
“We couldn’t be happier that Seth and Jimmy Fallon will continuing their careers at NBC, after growing up in this network’s late night legacy,” NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt said in Sunday’s announcement, of the two “Saturday Night Live” alums.
“Since 1982, there have been three ‘Late Night’ hosts, starting with David Letterman, and Seth couldn’t be in better company,” Michaels said, without naming the other two because the announcement had already named one — Fallon — and the other one is Conan O’Brien, aka He Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned at NBC.
Last fall Meyers returned for his twelfth season as a cast member of “SNL,” eighth season as head writer, and seventh season as “Weekend Update” anchor.
The premiere date for “Late Night with Seth Meyers” will be announced at a later date.