After more than a year of staying at home, we’ve had time to think about how to do a lot of things better — and travel is no exception. As a result, post-pandemic travel is shaping up to be smarter, more thoughtful and more meaningful than ever before. “Regenerative travel” — the practice of planning trips that actually improve the destination you visit — isn’t just a buzz phrase, but a whole new way of traveling. It’s the realization that travel isn’t just where you go — it’s what you bring with you, and what you leave behind.
At The Washington Post Creative Group, we believe a regeneration of travel calls for a new generation of travel storytellers. That’s why we’re putting out a call for travel influencers with a fresh perspective to help us tell these new — and important — stories.
Over the course of fall 2021, The Washington Post Creative Group will partner with Marriott Bonvoy, Marriott International’s award-winning travel program and marketplace, to help three unique storytellers plan — and report — their own regenerative travel trip within the U.S. With thousands of destinations to explore, experiences to discover, and people to meet, Marriott Bonvoy is an immersive and inclusive travel platform, helping expand individuals’ worlds in ways big and small.
These storytellers won’t just be taking a new approach to what stories we tell. They’ll be rethinking how we tell them, too. After all, a new generation of storytellers needs new storytelling tools.
We’ll empower each of our chosen storytellers with innovative Washington Post newsroom technology, as well as a team of editors, producers and interactive designers, to help bring these stories to life in immersive and exciting ways.
Think you have what it takes to be one of our storytellers? Read on for how to apply.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for someone who doesn’t just think of travel as a trip, but a chance to find a new perspective. Someone who travels with purpose and a distinct point of view.
- Are you a travel enthusiast with a fresh take on travel?
- Are you 21+ and currently based in the U.S.?
- Do you regularly document your travels via social media, video, and/or photography?
- Do you have a loyal following on social media, who can’t wait to hear all about where you’re traveling next?
- Are you passionate about regenerative travel?
- Are you knowledgeable about domestic travel?
- Do you love learning from locals?
- Can you commit to travel dates and story development throughout September and October 2021?
If you answered yes to all of those, read on.
What is regenerative travel?
Regenerative travel is about growth and renewal that works both ways, enriching the travel destination and the traveler. Each of our chosen storytellers will explore a regenerative travel trend that benefits local communities, economies and the environment, in addition to the traveler’s personal wellbeing.
How do I apply?
Can’t wait to start telling these stories with us? Please either email the following to email@example.com or post your submission video (see instructions below) to Instagram, Twitter or TikTok with the hashtag #TravelMakesUs and tag @WPCreativeGroup. The deadline for applications is September 9, 2021, 11:59pm Eastern Time.
- Your name, age and city of residence
- Your primary social media handle
- A 60-second video* of yourself answering the following questions:
- Why do you represent the next generation of travel storytellers?
- What does regenerative travel mean to you?
- What travel destination in the U.S. would you most like to share with readers and why?
Owing to the expected volume of applications, we regret we will not be able to respond to unsuccessful submissions.
*Video can be a simple smartphone recording, or feel free to go to town with a slick, edited production. What we’re really looking for, though, is a sense of your personality, your unique perspective and your travel passions. Required file format: MP4. Submissions of more than 60 seconds will not be considered.
Good luck — we can’t wait to meet you.