By Monday, residents were being told to leave their homes.
City spokeswoman Melissa Berthier said Monday evening that residents of the two-story, 30-unit condo building have until July 19 to vacate the premises even though the city’s building official has determined it “is not in danger of imminent collapse.“
Manny Vadillo, an attorney representing the property manager, said the manager determined last May that the property would be demolished and replaced with a new development. Residents have been given time to find other housing and just 14 of them remain, seven of whom are not paying rent, Vadillo said.
“My clients are extremely sensitive to safety and in fact visited the property several times since last week to speak with tenants when communications started with the city,” Vadillo said in an email.
The Miami Beach apartment is at least the second condo building to be evacuated as local officials work to prevent a repeat of the partial collapse that killed at least 90 people in Surfside on June 24.
On July 4, a different building was evacuated when inspectors found a bad flooring system and “excessive deflection” on an interior wall. Both were small apartment complexes with just a few dozen units, suggesting problems with the city’s housing infrastructure are not limited to its coastal high-rises.
Problems with the building were first reported by the Miami Herald, which wrote that city officials placed “Unsafe Structure” placards in front of 10 other buildings as well.