The Washington Post

What to do if you have a complaint about hospice care

If you or a loved one has received unsatisfactory care from a hospice, here are a few steps that experts recommend you take:

●Make sure you know what a hospice ought to provide. The American Hospice Foundation, a consumer advocacy group, offers information here:

Here is how Medicare defines the hospice services it pays for:

● Contact the hospice’s management and discuss your concerns.

●Contact the health department in your state and file a formal complaint. Those agencies are paid by the federal government to investigate.

Show Comments

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.