The ad stars a child, Jeremy Maxwell, who is, for whatever reason, chosen by Samsung to be the “secret messenger” charged with carrying the company’s next big release to the conference himself.
The ad didn’t release any technical specifications or even vague hints about what the phone may look like, but it did set the stage for what could be a series of ads leading up to the event next week by ending the short ad with a “to be continued. . .” tag.
The company has hinted with its tagline for the event — “Be ready 4 the next Galaxy” — that it will be showing off a “Galaxy S4/IV,” as a successor to its current flagship phone, the Galaxy S III.
Many expect that the new phone will have a better, and perhaps bigger, screen than the current phone’s 4.8-inch display. Techradar reported on a document supposedly leaked by a Korean financial service firm that indicated the phone will have a 5-inch screen, quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and run on the latest version of Google’s operating system, Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2. CNET reported Monday that the phone also could have a 13MP rear camera and a 2MP front-facing camera, and the capability to shoot high-quality 1080p video, and may actually pack Samsung’s eight-core Exynos processor.
Apple’s iPhone 5, which will be one of the phone’s fiercest competitors on the market, has a 4-inch screen, 8 MP rear camera and 1.2 MP front-facing camera, 1 GB of RAM and can also shoot high-quality 1080p video.
Samsung has seen tremendous success with the Galaxy S III in the United States and abroad, thanks in part to partnerships that allowed it to offer the phone on all four of the U.S.’s major carriers. The company said in November that the phone had surpassed 30 million in sales, just five months after its debut.
Anticipation for the S III’s successor has been very high, as Samsung and Apple continue to vie for domination in the smartphone market as the world’s top phone manufacturers.
Together, Samsung and Apple make up 52 percent of the world’s smartphone market, and are fighting each other in worldwide courts as well as the marketplace.
On Friday, a California judge struck nearly half of the damages a jury awarded to Apple last year in a patent suit against Samsung, cutting the $1.05 billion by $450 million, which leaves Apple entitled to around $599 million of the original damages. The $450 million figure reflects the damages a jury awarded for 14 Samsung products that the court now says must be considered in a new jury trial.
Judge Lucy Koh said that a second trial — with a new jury — is required to set those damages, according to a Friday report from patent expert and blogger Florian Mueller. Koh has not yet set a date for the new trial, Apple Insider reported.
Sign up today to receive #thecircuit, a daily roundup of the latest tech policy news from Washington and how it is shaping business, entertainment and science.