The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Man shot in downtown Washington during morning rush hour

Police said the man, who was conscious and breathing, was struck near the 1200 block of 12th Street NW

Police had cordoned off the area near 13th Street and N Street NW to investigate a shooting. (Omari Daniels/The Washington Post)

A man was shot Tuesday morning in downtown Washington during the morning rush hour.

Police said the shooting occurred near the 1200 block of 12th Street NW around 9 a.m., though witnesses said they heard gunshots that seemed to come from 13th Street NW. Police said the man, whose identity has not been released, was conscious and breathing.

Authorities said they were still searching for the shooter. The circumstances of the shooting were not immediately known.

The gunfire comes after an especially violent weekend in the District, when shootings wounded nearly two dozen people and killed four — including two teenagers. By Tuesday morning, the homicide count in D.C. had reached 104 — a 21 percent increase from the same time last year.

Fabian Soriano and his girlfriend, Alexandria Rojas, were out for a walk between 12th and 13th Streets NW near a Comfort Inn just after 9 a.m. when they said they heard six or seven gunshots coming from 13th Street. Rojas said Soriano grabbed her and pushed her to the ground.

“We both stayed down,” Rojas said.

Neither saw the shooter, though Soriano noted, “There’s cameras in the alley so I’m sure they’ll see it.”

“I thought it might have been a construction tool or something,” Rojas said. But she said Soriano told her the noise was too loud and “it was definitely shots.”

Just before 9 a.m., Erica Bakies said she heard five or six gunshots, then immediately called her mother.

Bakies said she saw someone with a gun running across N Street toward the alley near 13th and N next to the Sutton Plaza apartments. Bakies said it looked like the person was injured.

“It’s a scary feeling. N Street has been really bad lately,” Bakies said. “I moved to Logan Circle thinking that it would be safe.”

John E. Lazar was watering his plants on the rooftop of the Emerson at around 8:50 a.m. when he heard six to eight pops. He said he knew it wasn’t fireworks. Three to four minutes later, Lazar said he heard police arrive.

“It makes me apprehensive,” Lazar, 72, said. “I’ve lived here for 15 years and you don’t want to become paralyzed by fear. But since covid, I have an uneasy feeling when I walk down the street. You don’t want to become a statistic.”

Lazar said he did not see the shooter.

This developing story has been updated.