IN THE ’60S, Janis Joplin looked groovy in tie-dyed bell-bottoms. In the ’80s, Debbie Harry and Joan Jett wore skinny jeans (often with ankle zippers) to get down at CBGB. And in the age of grunge, nobody shredded a pair of Levi’s — or a guitar — more enthusiastically than Courtney Love.
For fall, jeans riff on the rocker-chick cool of folkies, punkers and New Wave icons. Think studded straight-legs, dip-dyed boot cuts and weathered, hole-filled boyfriend styles that could’ve been at Woodstock. “Women have gone grungy in a chic way,” says Diesel spokeswoman Mary Lawton. “The biggest trend: shredded denim.” Wanna join the bad-girl band? Keep the rest of your outfit simple — maybe an oversize sweater or a slim, boyfriend blazer. And don’t forget your backstage pass.
Styles, shown from left to right:
(1) Blank Denim skinnies ($78, South Moon Under, 2700 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington; 703-807-4083)
(2) Diesel striped straight-legs($220, Diesel, 1249 Wisconsin Ave. NW; 202-625-2780)
(3) Members Only tie-dyed jeans ($196, Fred Segal; 310-458-6661)
(4) Purple Diesel boot-cuts ($190, Diesel)
(5) William Rast zippered motocross jeans ($295, Nordstrom, Fashion Centre at Pentagon City, Arlington; 703-415-1121)
(6) J Brand’s slim gray jeans ($187; <a href="“>Jbrandjeans.com)
(7) Members Only shredded jeans ($165, Urban Outfitters)
(8) Blank’s patched-knee black jeans ($88, Intermix, 3222 M St. NW; 202-298-8080
(9) Siwy’s mesh-front jeans ($242; Shopbop.com).
Pictured at top: Always Skinny jeans ($70, Gap.com), stylist’s own boots.
» 1) Fergie
The Dutchess goes for an iconic, back-of-the-bus look by wearing her classic, sorta-weathered skinny jeans with a shrunken leather bomber jacket and a printed T-shirt.
» 2) Joan Jett
The Reagan-era icon (played by “Twilight” star Kristen Stewart in an upcoming biopic) subs black jeans for black leather pants. You might call this noir-meets-noir ensemble a rock tuxedo.
» 3) Christina Aguilera
With her penchant for short tops and tacky shoes, the singer sometimes doesn’t look beautiful in every single way. But she scores with this combo of cuffed, slim jeans, cropped jacket and a funky scarf.
Written by Express contributor Ashley Joy Parker
Photos by Marge Ely/Express, Getty Images