Safety experts say the best way to stay injury free is to let the professionals do the fireworks and avoid do-it-yourself displays. Though 49 states and the District of Columbia allow the sale of some or all types of consumer fireworks (with only Massachusetts having an all-out ban on fireworks sales), according to the American Pyrotechnics Association, even legal fireworks can be dangerous and sometimes deadly. Sparklers, for instance — considered by many to be a safe option for youngsters — burn at 2,000 degrees, described by the National Safety Council as “hot enough to burn some metals.” Safety experts say that young children should never be allowed to play with sparklers and that anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should have on protective eyewear. The CPSC also urges people to not buy or use fireworks packaged in brown paper as that “is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and are not for consumer use.”
This story has been updated to reflect newly released data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.