Updated June 16, 2022
1. Digital Products
The Washington Post Digital Products include the website (www.washingtonpost.com), mobile site, and tablet and mobile apps. You are not necessarily required to purchase anything to use The Post’s Digital Products. If you do not purchase a subscription or product, however, your access to the Digital Products will be limited.
The Post reserves the right to modify the content, type and availability of any Digital Product at any time. If you do not cancel your subscription for the Digital Products after the modifications become effective, you agree to the modifications.
a. Auto-renewing Subscription. If you purchase a recurring subscription, your Digital Products subscription, which may start with a promotional rate or free trial, will auto-renew at the frequency stated at the time of your order unless cancelled. You will be charged your first subscription fee and any applicable taxes on the date you purchase your Digital Products subscription or after your free trial ends. Your Digital Products subscription will automatically continue at the stated interval, and you will continue to be charged at the stated price (including any applicable taxes) at the beginning of each billing cycle (“Billing Period”) unless prior to the end of your current Billing Period: (a) you terminate your account; (b) you cancel your subscription (as described below); (c) we decline to renew your subscription; or (d) these Terms of Sale are otherwise properly terminated as expressly permitted herein. You can view the date of your next scheduled payment by visiting our website and clicking on the “My Account” link. If any subscription fee is not paid in a timely manner, or your transaction cannot be processed, we reserve the right to suspend, disable, cancel or terminate your Digital Products subscription.
b. Differing Subscriptions/Promotions. The Post may offer a number of types of subscriptions, including subscriptions to different Washington Post products and special promotions. Any materially different terms from those described in these Terms of Sale will be disclosed at the time of purchase or in other communications made available to you. You can find specific details regarding your subscription visiting our website and clicking on the “My Account” link. We reserve the right to change or terminate any offered subscriptions or promotions at any time.
c. Locked-In, Fixed-Rate Subscriptions. The Post may, in its sole discretion, offer a subscription in which you agree to pay a recurring, locked-in fixed subcription rate each billing cycle until cancelled. If such subscription is ever cancelled or terminated for any reason, you will permanently lose your fixed-rate and may not be able to take advantage of another fixed-rate subscription, although you may be able to re-subscribe at other rates offered by the Post for a specified period of time.
a. Payment Method. You can pay for your subscription with a major credit card or through other payment methods (e.g., Amazon Pay or PayPal) made available during the purchase process (“Payment Method”). Accepted Payment Methods may vary based on your location. You may edit your Payment Method information by visiting our website and clicking on the “My Account” link. If your payment is unsuccessful by reason of insufficient funds, expiration, or otherwise, you remain responsible for any uncollected amount.
b. Recurring Billing. By placing an order for a recurring subscription, you authorize us to charge you the subscription fee then in effect at the beginning of each Billing Period, plus applicable taxes, to your Payment Method. You acknowledge that the amount charged each Billing Period may vary for reasons that may include price changes, changing your subscription, or changes in applicable taxes, and you authorize us to charge your Payment Method for such varying amount each Billing Period. Applicable taxes may vary. For example, you authorize us to charge your Payment Method the promotional rate disclosed on the subscription screen for the agreed upon promotional Billing Periods (if applicable) and the regular subscription rate in subsequent Billing Periods, each with applicable taxes. We automatically bill your Payment Method on the last day of each Billing Period. We reserve the right to change the timing of our billing, in particular, in the event your Payment Method has not successfully settled. If your Payment Method is declined for a recurring payment of your subscription fee, you have four (4) days to provide us a new Payment Method or your subscription will be canceled.
c. Subscription Fee Changes. Except as otherwise set forth herein, we reserve the right to change subscription fees for any of our subscriptions at any time. If the regular fee for your subscription increases from the fee stated at the time of your initial order, we will notify you before applying the change to your subscription or charging you in connection with an automatic renewal. You will have an opportunity to cancel your subscription at that time. If you do not cancel your subscription, you will be charged the new subscription fee at your next Billing Period.
d. Billing Period. We will charge the subscription fee at the commencement of your subscription or, if applicable, at the end of your free trial period, and automatically on the first calendar day of each Billing Period thereafter unless and until your subscription is cancelled.
e. One-Time Purchases. When you purchase a stand-alone product, such as a gift subscription, we will charge your Payment Method at the time of purchase.
f. Currency. The currency in which you will be billed will be stated during the purchase process. All prices are in United States dollars, unless otherwise stated.
4. Free Trials and Promotional Rates. We may offer promotions to obtain a subscription on a trial basis for free or at a promotional rate. If your subscription includes a free trial, you will not be charged the applicable fee during your free trial. To obtain the free trial, you will be required to provide a Payment Method in order to ensure uninterrupted access and continued use after the expiration of the free trial. Upon completion of your free trial, your subscription will automatically convert into a recurring paid subscription and your Payment Method will be charged the applicable fee unless you have cancelled your subscription before your free trial ends. You may cancel your subscription during your free trial to avoid being charged as described above; such cancellation may be effective immediately.
If your subscription includes a promotional rate, you will be charged the promotional rate for the agreed upon number of Billing Periods and upon completion of those Billing Periods, your subscription will continue to automatically renew at the regular rate.
You may only be permitted to use one free trial or promotional rate offer. If your subscription is ever cancelled or terminated for any reason, and you purchase an additional subscription, you may not be eligible for a free trial or to take advantage of another promotional rate.
5. Cancellations and Refunds
a. Cancellations. You can cancel your subscription at any time by going to My Account. You must cancel your subscription before it renews each Billing Period to avoid being billed the next Billing Period’s subscription fees to your Payment Method. Cancellation only applies to future charges associated with your subscription, and you will not receive a refund for the current Billing Period. Your cancellation will become effective at the end of your current Billing Period, and you will continue to have access to your subscription for the remainder of the Billing Period (except that if you cancel your subscription during a free trial period, your cancellation may become effective immediately). Any purchases of a Digital Product subscription through a third party (e.g., app store), are subject to that third party’s cancellation policies and procedures.
b. Refunds. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE STATED HEREIN OR REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOUR SUBSCRIPTION FEE IS NONREFUNDABLE. If you cancel your subscription, you are not entitled to receive any refund or credits for the time remaining in your Billing Periods, and you will continue to have access to your subscription until the end of your current Billing Period (unless we provide you with a refund or credit). We reserve the right to issue refunds or credits at our sole discretion. If we issue a refund or credit in one instance, we are under no obligation to issue the same refund or credit in the future.
Users in the EU, UK, and Québec should review Section 10 for additional information about their rights.
6. E-Sign Disclosure and Consent. By purchasing a Digital Products subscription and/or clicking on the box at account opening, you consent to receive notices, disclosures, agreements, policies, receipts, confirmations, transaction information, account information, other communications, and changes or updates to any such documents electronically (collectively, the “Electronic Communications”). We will provide these Electronic Communications by posting them on the Washington Post website, posting within your account, and/or emailing them to your primary email address associated with your Digital Products subscription. You agree that the Electronic Communications will satisfy any legal communication requirements, including that such communications be in writing. Electronic Communications will be deemed received by you within 24 hours of the time posted to our website or the “My Account” page, or within 24 hours of the time emailed to you unless we receive notice that the email was not delivered.
a. System Requirements. To receive Electronic Communications, you must have the following equipment and software:
You confirm that you have access to the necessary equipment and are able to receive, open, print, or store Electronic Communications.
You must keep your primary email address up to date and ensure that it is valid and operational. You can change your primary email address on the “My Account” page. You agree that Electronic Communications sent to the primary email address for your account will be deemed to have been provided to you even if that address is incorrect, out of date, blocked by your service provider or otherwise inaccessible to you, or cannot be received due to your failure to maintain the system requirements,.
We will notify you if there are any material changes to the hardware or software needed to receive Electronic Communications.
b. Paper Delivery of Disclosures and Notices. You have the right to receive a paper copy of the Electronic Communications. To receive a paper copy at no charge, please request it in one of the following ways: (1) go to the Washington Post Customer Care at www.washingtonpost.com/contactus and send us a message requesting a paper copy of Electronic Communications and include your name, email address and mailing address; or (2) call us at 202-334-6100 and speak to the customer service representative. Any withdrawal of your consent to receive Electronic Communications will be effective only after we have a reasonable period of time to process your withdrawal. You understand and agree that if you withdraw your consent we may – though we are not required to – cancel your Digital Products subscription.
7. Changes to the Terms of Sale. We may, from time to time, change these Terms of Sale. When such changes are made, we will make a copy of the new Terms of Sale available to you on our website. If you do not cancel the services after the changes become effective, you agree to the changed terms.
8. Termination. We may terminate your subscription at our sole discretion and without any notice. If we cancel your subscription, we may give you a prorated refund based on the amount of time remaining that you cannot use; provided, however, that we will not be obligated to grant you a refund if we terminate your account or your subscription because we determine, in our sole discretion, that your use of the services violates these Terms of Sale, our Terms of Service, any applicable law, or has harmed another user.
9. Contact Us. If you wish to contact us or have any questions or concerns related to this Terms of Sale for Digital Products or your use of The Post’s services, please (1) go to the Washington Post Customer Care at www.washingtonpost.com/contactus, (2) email us at email@example.com, or (3) call us at 202-334-6100.
The Washington Post
1301 K Street NW
Washington DC, 20071
10. International Subscribers.
a. Place Where Services Will Be Performed for Users. For the purposes of the Post providing your Digital Products subscription, the place where the services will be performed is the address you provide during the purchase process.
b. Right of Withdrawal/Right to Cancel and Obtain a Refund.
Certain users may have a legal right to cancel their subscription and obtain a refund. The extent of this legal right depends on the laws in the country where you reside.
Users in the EU and UK: You have a right to withdraw your contract for your subscription for the Digital Products, within 14 days from the start of the initial subscription term. In such case, we will refund you all payment received from you. To withdraw, you can either (1) send the model withdrawal form provided here to us by mail at The Washington Post, 1301 K Street NW, Washington DC, 20071 Attn: Customer Care or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (2) cancel your subscription by visiting My Account.
Users in Québec: You may obtain pro-rated refunds when you cancel your subscription during the middle of a Billing Period; however, we may charge a cancellation fee of up to 10% of the pro-rata amount for the remaining portion of your billing cycle (up to a maximum of $50).
c. Disclosures for Users in France. Consistent with article L. 215-4 of the French Consumer Code, click the following hyperlinks to read the full text of articles L. 215-1, L. 215-2, 215-3, and 241-3 of the French Consumer Code.