Readers vote via clicks of a mouse; to us, the annual list of most-viewed WaPo Food recipes online provides a valuable snapshot of what folks are really cooking. Happy New Year, and keep up the good work.
1. Fruit Slab Pie. What a way to kick off Cathy Barrow’s new Bring It! column in 2016. Fit for a crowd.
2. Slow-Cooker Garlicky Shrimp. The seafood poaches gently in 30 minutes’ hands-free time.
3. Horseradish Sauce. The only accompaniment for prime rib. You don’t even have to grate your own horseradish root for this one.
4. Dorie Greenspan’s Mediterranean Yogurt Cake. Sunny and bright, this is her take on the cake French home bakers make.
5. Anthony Bourdain’s Boeuf Bourguignon. Perenially popular!
6. Nebraska Runzas, by Way of Washington. Staff writer Tim Carman tweaks a plain-food favorite from his childhood.
7. Extremely Slow-Roasted Turkey Breast. Every year, Thanksgiving cooks thank us for it.
8. Slow-Roasted Beef. Foolproof — and we mean it.
9. Quad Cities-Style Pizza. Malt syrup in the crust dough, a spicy sauce and fennel sausage make this taste like the pie served at Roots Handmade Pizza in Chicago.
10. Kale and Chickpea Stew. A vegan #DinnerInMinutes that has shown up on this list since 2012.
11. Easy Skillet Braised Chicken With White Wine, Fennel and Pancetta. A one-pan meal from “The Food Lab” with lots of flavor.
12. Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal. Ellie Krieger’s baked breakfast treat tastes just like carrot cake.
13. World’s Best Lasagna (Tweaked). From AllRecipes.com; we reduced the amount of sodium.
14. Southern Soul Brunswick Stew. Thanks, Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin, for tracking down this Georgia masterpiece.
15. Soul Food Macaroni and Cheese. Historian Michael Twitty shares his mother’s ultra-cheesy, go-to holiday side dish.
16. Patti LaBelle’s Sweet Potato Pie. The famous singer’s introduced other desserts in the retail market, but the taste and appeal of this one can’t be beat.
17. Trinidad Black Cake. A rich and boozy fruitcake that continues to stand out at holiday time.
18. Maggie Austin’s Apple Bread. A moist and fragrant winner, this is a family recipe from premier wedding cake artist Maggie Austin LaBaugh.
19. Spaghetti Squash With Ground Turkey and Tomato Sauce. No pasta in this healthful dish from health education specialist Elaine Gordon, but you won’t miss it.
20. Cherry Bounce. DIY liqueur that works with other fruit as well, but this was said to be George Washington’s favorite tipples. Also from Cathy Barrow.