Fashion blogger Candace Ourisman shares her top five tips on putting together a space that shows your personality.
1. Let your home reflect your passion. Having ridden horses all my life, the equestrian lifestyle resonates with me. Throughout my house, there are touches of equine just about everywhere: a photo of a powerful stallion galloping through water in my bedroom, a wooden sculpture of a horse on the living-room mantel, even a whimsical bench with four hooves. Surrounding myself with my passions makes this house feel like my home.
2. Collect books that tell your story. I have been collecting coffee table books for years. Family and friends have caught on, and many of them have given me some of my favorites. These books, sprinkled throughout, serve as a constant reminder of my interests and passions: art, fashion and design. Whether your interests are space or watchmaking, start collecting books that you display to infuse your home with what you love most.
3. Create an opening statement. I love a good conversation starter and wanted a space that was anything but boring. The graphic wallpapered dining room is the first thing you see when you enter our house. You immediately have a glimpse into my personality.
4. Show your own style of hospitality. Food is something everyone relates to. I have a notorious sweet tooth, so friends know that when they come over there will always be a giant bowl of M&Ms out. I always know which friends walk by without a blink, and those who can’t resist.
5. Honor history. Pieces of our family histories are sprinkled throughout the house. My favorite is a large gold goat that used to live in my foyer growing up.