We want to celebrate the spirit of the season with beautiful handmade crafts: ornaments, garlands, cards and gifts. With our Holiday Crafts Contest, we invite you, crafty person, to share an original creation with us. Your homemade craft can be sewn, woven, knitted, molded with plain paper or papier-mache, or created with any materials you like. It can decorate a tree, hang on a wall, sit on a table or be wearable. It should be themed for any of the winter holidays, or simply be winter-appropriate. The winning crafter will receive a $500 American Express gift check and be featured in an article in The Washington Post’s Local Living section. View all details at washingtonpost.com/holidaycrafts.
No purchase is necessary to enter this contest. This contest is sponsored by WP Company LLC d/b/a The Washington Post (”Sponsor”). Anyone in the United States is eligible to submit photos of his or her craft, but the finalists must be residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia. Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to enter. If you are under 13 please have a parent, guardian or teacher submit your entry. One entry per person. Employees, officers, directors and representatives of Sponsor and its affiliates, and those with whom they are domiciled, are not eligible. Void outside of the District of Columbia, Virginia and Maryland and where prohibited by law. Contest subject to all federal, state and local laws.
1. Think of how you would like to decorate your home for the holidays or create a seasonal, stylish craft as a gift. Sketch some ideas.
2. Make a craft specifically for this contest. To be eligible for finalist standing, the craft must be transportable to our office by one person.
3. Take photos of your completed craft from one to three angles. Upload no more than three photos as high-resolution JPEGs to the Holiday Crafts user-generated photo gallery. Within the Caption box, include a description of your craft. In the additional information box, include your name, age, e-mail address, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. This information will not appear online. The submission period begins November 3, 2011, and is limited to one entry per person.
4. Photo submissions are due by Monday, December 3, at 11:59 p.m. ET, but keep your masterpieces intact after submission. In the ensuing weeks, the Washington Post Local Living staff and a professional crafter will pick at least three finalists based on originality of concept and skill in execution; those crafts will be retrieved via courier and judged in person to determine the grand prize winner. Decisions of the judges are final and cannot be appealed. By entering, you authorize The Post to publish photos of your craft and to identify you as the entrant with those photos.
5. From on or around December 10 until on or around December 14, there will be an online vote for a Readers’ Choice winner among a selection of finalists. Finalists will be selected by newsroom judges based on originality of concept and skill in execution.
6. VOTING: All submitted craft photos may appear online at any time after they have been received by Sponsor. Crafts will appear at washingtonpost.com/holidaycrafts starting on or around Thursday, November 8, 2012. Subject to the other terms of these rules, the grand prize winner will be decided by the judges, and the Readers’ Choice recipient will be the finalist who receives the highest number of votes cast by the public via online voting. To be eligible, a vote must identify only one (1) finalist. Limit one (1) vote per person. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify all votes in excess of these limits and/or which Sponsor in its sole discretion believes do not comply with these Official Rules. The use of computer-generated programs or other means to submit multiple votes is prohibited, and such votes will be disqualified as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Any voter who violates these rules will have their vote(s) disqualified. In the event of a tie or any problems in the public voting, Sponsor will break the tie or determine the winners based on the initial judging results used to determine the winners, or using other criteria as deemed appropriate by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
7. The grand prize winner will be announced Thursday, December 20, 2012.
8. The grand prize winner — as chosen by our judges based on originality of concept and skill in execution — will receive a $500 American Express gift check. One Readers’ Choice winner — as chosen by readers through an online vote — will receive a $100 American Express gift check.
9. If the Readers’ Choice is the same as the grand prize winner, he or she will receive both prizes. Odds of winning, and of being selected as a finalist or semifinalist, depend on the number of entries.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND GENERAL CONDITIONS:
By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. By entering, each entrant agrees to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor and each of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and each of their respective employees, officers, shareholders, directors, representatives and agents (collectively, “Releasees”) from and against any claims, damages or liability involving or arising out of (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, postage due, mutilated, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone system, technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, transmission or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use or misuse of any prize or from participating in the Contest or any Contest related activity; or (v) any printing, distribution, typographical, administrative, human or technological errors involving or associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. Entrants must have all necessary rights in their entities. Entries that are late, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, false, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, destroyed or misdirected entries. Sponsor shall have no liability for any finalist or winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received for any reason. In Sponsor’s sole discretion, a selected potential semifinalist, finalist or winner may be disqualified and required to forfeit the opportunity to participate further in the Contest, and an alternate potential finalist or winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries for any reason, including without limitation if a selected potential finalist or winner (i) is unreachable or notification is returned as undeliverable; (ii) declines or cannot accept the opportunity to participate further in the Contest for any reason; or (iii) fails to comply with these Official Rules.
All costs and expenses are not included and are the winners’ responsibilities unless indicated herein as being awarded. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent of any prize element permitted. Elements of the prize may not be exchanged. Sponsor and/or a prize provider may substitute a prize (or a portion of a prize) with one of equal or greater retail value if a prize (or a portion of a prize) is unavailable or cannot be awarded for any reason. Winners will be responsible for reporting and payment of all applicable federal, state and local taxes associated with claiming these prizes. Please consult your tax advisor regarding the tax implications of winning.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Contest (or any portion of the Contest) should any virus, bug, computer problem or other cause or problem corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper operation of the Contest and, in such situation (or in the event of any type of error), to select the winners from eligible entries received prior to the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. In no event will Sponsor be liable for more than the stated number of prizes in these Official Rules. Sponsor may prohibit entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrant or Sponsor’s representatives. Releasees have not made and/or are not responsible for any misrepresentation or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes. By entering, each Entrant agrees that Sponsor may use his or her entry (e.g., name, craft, photos, and related information) in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees and acknowledges that Sponsor may use winner’s name, voice, biographical data, likeness and city name in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor: WP Company LLC, 1150 15th Street NW, Washington, DC 20071. Finalists and winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and/or publicity/liability release. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of prizes. If a prize is forfeited or a finalist/winner is disqualified, then (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) the next-best entry under the criteria set forth above may be selected to receive the forfeited prize subject to these Official Rules. Forfeited prizes may not be awarded. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event will attorneys’ fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out of pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
For the names of each winner or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: The Washington Post, Local Living Staff, 1150 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20071. Please specify “Winner List” or “Official Rules.” Requests must be received by May 31, 2012.