The Washington Monument, one of Washington, D.C.’s top tourist attractions, has been closed since August because of elevator problems. It won’t reopen until 2019, the National Park Service says. (Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)

If you have been hoping to take in the sweeping views from the Washington Monument, you had better be patient.

The monument, closed since August 17 because of elevator problems, is not expected to reopen until 2019, according to the National Park Service.

The elevator will receive a $2 million to $3 million overhaul, paid for by businessman and charitable donor David Rubenstein, Park Service officials announced Friday.

“The monument has become a symbol of our country and reminds everyone of the towering strengths of our first president. I am honored to help make this symbol safely accessible again to all Americans as soon as practicable,” Rubenstein said in a statement.

The elevator takes visitors to an observation deck near the top of the 555-foot monument.

A rooftop view from the Department of Commerce shows the Washington Monument and the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of African American History and Culture. (Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)

Among other things, Rubenstein’s gift will let officials replace the computer system that controls the elevator and add a system for troubleshooting problems, officials said.

Rubenstein has helped pay for repairs or improvements to several Washington icons. He gave $7.5 million to help restore the Washington Monument following an earthquake in 2011, repairs that cost $15 million and closed the monument for nearly three years. Earlier this year, he announced he would give $18 million to fix up the Lincoln Memorial. In 2015, he announced he would give more than $5 million to improve the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington, Virginia.