After we married in Mississippi in 1946, we went to New Haven, Conn., where my husband, Sherman, entered Yale on the GI Bill. For a while, we lived in a second-story apartment, sharing a bath with three other families on the floor. We became friends with a young couple on the first floor; I babysat their infant.

One day, the mother, Betty, brought us a huge bowl of tapioca pudding as a thank-you gift. We tried to eat it but really didn’t like it, and I really had no way of disposing of it. So on a very rainy, windy day, I decided to pour it out our kitchen window, thinking the rain would wash it away.

A few days later, I went downstairs to return the bowl to Betty. I expressed our thanks and mumbled something about enjoying the pudding. She replied: “Yes, I know. I saw it running down the side of the house.”

Elinor Ross,

Shepherdstown, W.Va.

I was about 7 years old and walking with my younger brother to school. We were wearing winter boots, and there were large puddles of muddy water everywhere. We were told not to play in the puddles on our way to school.

Naturally, we stomped around in a particularly large puddle. While we were having our fun, Dad drove up right behind us and tooted his horn. I’m sure we had looks of horror on our faces at being caught red-handed!

Lisa Gagnon,


New query: Tell us about a time when you got something for nothing.

The Washington Post is partnering with the Public Insight Network (PIN) to hear more of your 100 percent true stories taken from your own experience. Submit your answer to the query above online at By sharing your story, you become part of PIN — a network of more than 130,000 people who share their knowledge and insight to help reporters produce high-quality journalism. As always, editors will choose an entry to run in the Magazine, but we will also be sharing more of your stories online. You can also submit to The Washington Post Magazine, 1150 15th St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20071 to recount your story in 250 words or fewer. Include your daytime phone number.