Updated Feb. 28: The contest entry period is now closed! You’re still free to upload a photo of your creation, but it won’t be eligible for the actual contest. Stay tuned: Winners (and the best of the rest) will be revealed the last week of March.
Our first Peeps Diorama Contest in April 2007 struck the hearts, minds and funny bones of our newsroom and our nation. And now, it’s that time again: This serves as the callout for our sixth annual Peeps Diorama Contest.
We want you to make a diorama of a famous occurrence or scene. It can be a historic, current or future event, or it can be a nod to pop culture. The one rule is that all the characters in the diorama must be played by Peeps.
The entry process is outlined below, but be sure to read through the official contest rules, too.
Ready to enter? Upload a photo of your creation here.
1. Think of a scene. Sketch some ideas. Possible extra credit given to those who deftly employ puns in their diorama concept or title.
2. Make your diorama using a shoe box or comparable item of reasonable size. To be eligible for finalist standing, the diorama must be transportable to our office by one person. Melt, mold and manipulate those fluffy chicks and bunnies to bring your creative vision to life. If you don’t know how to make a diorama, Google “how to make a diorama.”
3.Take photos of your diorama from several angles. Then, upload no more than two photos. Your pictures must be in jpeg format. You will also be asked to provide:
a. Your name, age and home town.
b. The names, ages and home
towns of anybody who contributed to the diorama.
c. A phone number and e-mail address (not for publication).
d. The title of your diorama and a blurb about its creation or significance.
If you have questions, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Peeps” in the subject line.
4. Photo submissions are due by Monday, Feb. 27, at 11:59 p.m., but keep your masterpieces intact after submission. We’ll choose five finalists based on originality and execution. Those dioramas will be picked up via courier and professionally photo-graphed. We will run photos of our semi-finalists, finalists and winner on Sunday, April 1.
5. The grand-prize winner will receive a $100 American Express gift check and a Peeps prize pack courtesy of Just Born, the company that owns the Peeps brand. Four runners-up will each receive a $50 American Express gift check and a Peeps prize pack.
6. The fine print. Contest is open to anyone in the United States, but the five finalists must be residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia. Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to enter. If you are under 13, please have a parent, guardian or teacher submit your entry. One entry per person. No purchase necessary. Employees of The Washington Post or their immediate families are not eligible to enter.