Political journalist Mark Halperin has been let go from NBC News. (Richard Shotwell/Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

The last major piece of political journalist Mark Halperin's mini-empire crumbled on Monday as NBC News terminated its contract with him following reports last week that he had sexually harassed multiple women.

Halperin, 52, will no longer work for NBC or its sister cable network MSNBC, a network spokesman confirmed. He had been a senior political analyst on NBC and a semiregular guest on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

Until last week, Halperin was the star of multiple projects involving his political reporting and commentary. But the allegations against him have caused his media partners to sever their agreements and dissociate themselves from him, leaving him without any professional affiliation.

A dozen women have accused Halperin of unwanted contact, including assault, while he was political director at ABC News over a period from 1994 to 2004.

HBO said last week it was dropping a miniseries based on "Game Change," the best-selling book series about presidential campaigns that Halperin co-authored with John Heilemann. Showtime has dropped Halperin from "The Circus," a show about the 2016 campaign and the Trump administration, and Penguin Press has scrapped plans to publish Halperin's book about the 2016 campaign.

NBC's decision to terminate Halperin's contract makes permanent a preliminary announcement last week from the network saying he would not appear on NBC pending a review of the allegations.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Friday, Halperin wrote, "I am profoundly sorry for the pain and anguish I have caused by my past actions. I apologize sincerely to the women I mistreated."

He added, "Toward the end of my time at ABC News, I recognized I had a problem. . . . I was a selfish, immature person, who was behaving in a manner that had to stop. For several years around my departure from ABC News, I had weekly counseling sessions to work on understanding the personal issues and attitudes that caused me to behave in such an inappropriate manner."

Halperin said he did not engage in such "outrageous" behavior in subsequent jobs at Time magazine, Bloomberg News, NBC News and Showtime.

The statement appeared on Halperin's Twitter feed just below a pinned tweet from March showing photos of his infant son.

NBC disssociated itself from Halperin at almost the same time Monday that one of the women who accused him of harassment, Eleanor McManus, appeared on NBC's "Megyn Kelly Today" to discuss her allegations against him. McManus, a former TV producer, said Halperin tried to kiss her "and to do a bit more" when he invited her to a meeting in his office in the late 1990s. At the time, she was a college student.

She told host Megyn Kelly that she regretted remaining silent about the encounter because her silence had enabled Halperin to accost other women.

Emily Miller, a journalist who has alleged that Halperin sexually assaulted her, said in an interview Monday that she was "thrilled" to see McManus go public with her accusation so that potential future victims are protected. "It's not coincidental that NBC finally cut his contract right before one of his victims went on NBC," Miller said.