Dear Amy: A few days ago, I found out that my girlfriend of 10 months has applied for a work visa to Canada and plans to move there next year from Dublin (where we live), with or without me.
We both have chosen journalism as a career, and unfortunately there isn't a lot of work here in Ireland. This is something she has wanted to do for a very long time, but has put it on hold because of me. She isn't happy in Ireland. We had discussed this, and I said I would go with her, but I wasn't expecting this fast track.
She has had a year to finalize this in her head and to save up the money. I am about to graduate and don't have a lot of savings.
The most she is willing to compromise with me on is that we go in March or April of next year. That would give me some time to find a job in retail and save money.
I understand why she needs to leave, but I am very hurt that she hasn't made this decision with me and she is basically giving me an ultimatum.
I'm not ready to leave my friends and family and my home within six months.
I don't know if it's worth it. Should I move and give up everything for someone who hasn't made this decision as a couple, but has made this decision without me?
How much commitment does that show? I'm fairly stuck here, and I don't know what to do.
Anonymous: Your girlfriend's commitment is primarily to herself and her career right now, although according to you, she has stayed in Ireland (mainly) for you.
It seems that she has been fairly open with you about her goals.
An ultimatum would go like this: "Either you move with me on my timetable, or we break up."
This scenario seems more like, "I have made a plan to move. I'd like you to come, too, but I will go, regardless."
She seems to have instigated the particulars of her plan without telling you, and that is hurtful. However, you've been together only for 10 months. At this relationship stage, each of you must act first on your own behalf, even if this results in a painful separation.
You should take your cue from your girlfriend's commitment to her own personal and professional interests. Go — or don't go — on your own timetable. Some separation will help to clarify things for both of you, and if she moves first and establishes a beachhead, you may choose to follow. But don't do it for her — do it for yourself.
Dear Amy: I recently returned to my "regular" hairstylist after a five-month break over the summer.
When my visit was finishing up, she pointed out that "someone" had taken a lock of my hair, near the crown of my head (I wear my hair long), but she attested it wasn't her. I have no idea how this could have happened, and laughed it off with a lame DNA sampling theory.
She was the only person near my head with scissors. When I shampooed my hair after this visit, this shorter hair was quite noticeable. There is no way I would not have noticed it if it had been cut before my visit. The more I think about this, the angrier I become.
I have never tried to negotiate a lower price, though it often seemed to be inconsistent to the price that is published, and I have always tipped well.
Should I tell the salon owner why I am never coming back, or should I say something to this stylist?
Angry: The most charitable explanation is that your stylist made a mistake. Her way of covering for it, however, is inexcusable. You should take photos and yes, definitely contact the stylist and owner, expressing your dismay about the way this was handled and letting them both know that they have lost a regular customer.
Dear Amy: "Lovesick Rider" thought his bus driver might be interested in a romantic relationship.
I organized a "Roots" trip of cousins to Cornwall, England, where we had the same coach driver for four days.
A widowed cousin found there was a spark with our driver and went back to England to see him again.
They were married two years later. I say, go for it!
Accidental Matchmaker in Omaha
Accidental Matchmaker in Omaha: I love this story.