Correction: A previous version of this story had an incorrect premiere date for “All the President’s Men Revisited.” It has been revised.
Discovery and the White House Correspondents’ Association will co-sponsor an invitation-only screening of the network’s coming “All the President’s Men Revisited” on April 18 at the Newseum.
The two-hour special looks at the 1976 flick about one of the largest-looming historical events in recent memory: the bungled attempt to bug the Democratic National Committee’s Watergate offices, which was traced back to President Richard M. Nixon’s reelection committee.
The screening will be followed by a Q&A with Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, who earned a Pulitzer Prize for their Washington Post reporting on the break-in, which led to Nixon’s resignation (and introduced “[Fill in the Blank]-gate” to the national lexicon).
Also participating in the Q&A: Robert Redford, who played a more attractive version of Woodward in “All the President’s Men.”
The two-hour documentary — which reunited Woodward, Bernstein, Redford and Dustin Hoffman, who played a more attractive Bernstein — premieres April 21 on Discovery.
In the special, the four men reflect on the events and their role in politics, the media and national cynicism.
“Juxtaposing the reality of those who perpetuated the crime and those who pursued them, alongside those who portrayed them in the film, unfolds this historical turn of events in an entirely new way,” Redford says.
“All the President’s Men Revisited” is chockablock with talking heads, including:
●Former Post executive editor Ben Bradlee
●“The Daily Show” host/exec producer Jon Stewart
●Former NBC evening-news anchor Tom Brokaw
●Former Republican congressman and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough
●Former Nixon counsel John Dean
●David Frost (whose interviews with Nixon were turned into the play/flick “Frost/Nixon”)
●Actor/minority counsel to Senate Watergate committee Fred Thompson
●MSNBC host Rachel Maddow
●Republican political consultant Mary Matalin
●ProPublica editor in chief Stephen Engelberg
●Former presidential reelection committee treasurer Hugh Sloan
●New York Times columnist David Carr
●Nixon speechwriter/actor Ben Stein
●Former deputy attorney general William Ruckelshaus
●Former Nixon deputy assistant Alexander Butterfield
●New York Times Executive Editor Jill Abramson
●Joan Felt, daughter of Mark Felt (a.k.a. Deep Throat)
●Democratic media adviser James Carville
●Watergate prosecutor Jill Wine-Banks
●Former congresswoman Elizabeth Holtzman (D-N.Y.), who served as a member of the House Judiciary Committee that recommended three Articles of Impeachment against Nixon.
“All the President’s Men Revisited,” which was announced last year, launched Redford’s Sundance Productions television and Web content creation company. Redford and producing partner Laura Michalchyshyn, who formerly headed Discovery’s now-defunct Planet Green channel, exec-produced the docu with media exec Andrew Lack.
Benedict Cumberbatch blew the surprise and revealed that he and Martin Freeman will make a fourth season of PBS’s “Sherlock.”
“We’ve agreed to two more [seasons], but I could get into trouble for saying that,” Cumberbatch said in an interview this week with RadioTimes.
“All I know at the moment is, I’m doing these three [episodes for Season 3] and another three” for Season 4.
(On the PBS version of the Sherlock Holmes story, three episodes is all you get per season, compared with more than 20 per season on the CBS version of the franchise.)
Cumberbatch suggested that he’d be open to more seasons beyond a fourth, although it depends on his availability as well as Freeman’s. Freeman has another gig as Bilbo Baggins in the “Hobbit” flick franchise, and Cumberbatch is in J.J. Abrams’s latest “Star Trek” update.
PBS hasn’t set a date to air the third “Sherlock” season.
If you think Sean Lowe has had his fill of ABC reality shows, think again, writes The Post’s Emily Yahr.
The most recent “Bachelor” has extended his stay with ABC slightly longer — although, thankfully, that does not mean a stint on “Bachelor Pad.” Instead, Lowe will join the latest season of the network’s “Dancing With the Stars” competition series, which premieres Monday.
Not coincidentally, the “Dancing” casting announcement was made right after Monday’s “The Bachelor” season finale, in which about 10.4 million people watched Lowe propose to 26-year-old Seattle graphic designer Catherine Giudici.
The episode ran seven minutes long, and by the time Lowe was proposing that he and Giudici get married — on an ABC wedding special — about 14 million were tuned in.
(Yes, on ABC’s “After the Final Rose” post-finale show, the crazy-in-love couple declared their intention to marry during an ABC special this year. They explained that it was only fitting since they met on TV. Is there any doubt that these lovebirds were made for each other?)
Getting back to the 10.4 million who watched Monday’s “The Bachelor” finale: That’s a slightly larger audience than watched last season’s “The Bachelor” wrap.
And in these ratings days — with “down” being the new “flat,” and “flat” the new “up” — any finale that finishes up, however slightly, is big news.
The fine print: Last year’s “The Bachelor” finale aired against an episode of NBC’s hit singing competition “The Voice.” On Monday, NBC aired “The Biggest Loser” and “Deception” against “The Bachelor” finale. Not the same.
ABC noted Tuesday that its find-a-bride-in-a-hot-tub reality-series finale was the night’s “most social” show on TV — there were 616,000 tweets about the telecast.
Lowe, who was seen last year as a contestant on “The Bachelorette” (being dumped by Emily Maynard), will be paired — to dance only, of course — with Peta Murgatroyd. Peta won last spring’s edition of “Dancing” with NFL star Donald Driver.
And if Lowe has it his way, he’ll be on ABC even longer than that.
To read previous columns by Lisa de Moraes, go to washingtonpost.com/