Fox News Channel said Tuesday that it has suspended its agreement with contributor Newt Gingrich due to “intense media speculation” about Gingrich’s possible selection as Donald Trump’s running mate.
The cable news channel said the suspension — typical in cases in which an on-air contributor is running for office or considering it — was mutually agreed upon.
Fox previously suspended its agreement with Gingrich in 2011 when he ran for the Republican presidential nomination.
Gingrich, the former House speaker, has been prominently mentioned as a potential vice presidential pick. Trump has indicated that he will name his running mate later this week.
Reached via email, Gingrich downplayed the significance of severing his contract with Fox News. He pointed out that ending it will allow him to appear on all the networks during next week’s GOP convention — a suggestion that he plans to attend as a pundit.
Fox’s announcement came from Jay Wallace, its executive vice president of news. “Fox News Channel has mutually agreed to suspend its contributor agreement with former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich effective immediately,” his statement said. “Due to the intense media speculation about Gingrich’s potential selection as Donald Trump’s Vice Presidential candidate, we felt it best to halt his contributor role on the network to avoid all conflicts of interest that may arise.”