The Washington Post

Hints From Heloise: Carbon monoxide’s sneak attack

Dear Heloise: I really appreciated your column in the Orange County (Calif.) Register on CARBON MONOXIDE. I had carbon-monoxide poisoning in 2013, after being sick for one and a half to two years, with symptoms coming and going.

I had seen 35 doctors in one year and gone to the emergency room so many times that I couldn’t keep count. I was told I had anxiety and that was why my heart was racing out of nowhere. I finally tried alternative medicine, and I was told that I had too much gas in my body. This convinced me that I was being poisoned by something in the air, but I couldn’t figure it out.

I finally bought a carbon-monoxide detector and tied it around me. It went off in my car! I had an exhaust leak from a broken bolt in my high-end SUV, which caused the detector to go off like crazy! I made one final trip to the emergency room because I was so dizzy and thin. I asked them to do a blood-gas test (that was never done on me), which came back positive for carbon-monoxide poisoning!

I think the message needs to be out there that carbon-monoxide poisoning is very real, and it can be in your home or even your car (I am now in a new car). -- Suzanne L. in California

What an extreme case, but worth sharing with others! So glad you are now doing well and were able to figure this out! -- Heloise

SEPARATE THE KNOT

Dear Heloise: I groom my Yorkshire terrier. I can see the damage if I cut off a knot of hair with scissors. Instead, I use an envelope opener (the square, plastic kind with a razor blade inside it). It magically separates and removes the knot. -- R.N., via e-mail

Dogs can get knotted so easily, and they feel so much better with the knots gone! Just be careful when using any sharp object near your dog, especially close to the eyes! -- Heloise

TINY TO-DO

Dear Heloise: My wife and I divide the to-do list around our house. I write mine on the back of one of the extra business cards we have lying around. I can easily slip it into my wallet and have access whenever I need it. -- Jack in Tennessee

FIRST AND LAST, PLEASE

Dear Heloise: Would you please tell your readers that when sending sympathy cards, memorials, donations, flowers and even food, in memory of someone who has passed away, to please sign their first and last names and add their mailing address? After my mother’s funeral, I wrote 350 thank-you cards. However, there were several people whom I could not thank, even though I wanted to, because I did not know their last names and/or mailing addresses. -- D.E., via e-mail

OINTMENT ON

Dear Heloise: If you put ointment on a bandage pad, rather than directly on the wound, it’s less likely to smear onto surrounding areas, which keeps the bandage from adhering well. -- D.F., via e-mail

Heloise’s column appears six days a week at www.washingtonpost.com/advice. Send a hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Tex. 78279-5000, or e-mail it to Heloise@Heloise.com.

2014, King Features Syndicate

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

lifestyle

style

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.