The Washington Post

Hints From Heloise: Fix your damaged dough

Dear Readers: Do you have PAPER MONEY that has seen better days, or have you found some hidden away? There is a way to replace those torn bills or ones that are in a deteriorated condition, and the U.S. Treasury Department has a few guidelines:

●If you have at least half a bill, try taking it to your bank or credit union, which should be able to replace it.

●No matter what condition the paper money is in, try not to disturb it. However the currency was found is how it should be sent for replacement. If you found it flat, do not roll it. If it was rolled, do not try to straighten it.

●For a replacement, mail the money to: Bureau of Engraving & Printing, MCD/OFM, Room 344A, P.O. Box 37048, Washington, DC 20013.

Insure the package for the amount of the money you are sending, and mail it via registered mail with a return receipt requested. Allow at least eight weeks for your request to be processed, but it can take much longer (six to 24 months).

For more information, call 866-575-2361 or 202-874-2141. -- Heloise

P.S.: You can deliver it in person to the bureau.


Dear Heloise: I was visiting my sister and wanted to touch up my nails before we headed out to dinner. She pointed to her coat closet, where she had a hanging shoe bag (one with many clear pockets). The shoe bag was filled with nail polish, files, clippers and remover! It was so perfectly organized, I couldn’t believe it. It took no time to find what I was looking for. I definitely will be putting one in my house when I return! -- Margret H. in Colorado


Dear Heloise: One evening, I put half a dental-cleaning tablet in my hand to put in a dental cup. I also had taken out a vitamin tablet that I take at night. I mistakenly put the dental tablet in my mouth. I didn’t worry, as I thought if the tablet is for the partial in my mouth, it should be safe. WRONG!

During the night, I had terrible stomach cramps and nausea. When I researched swallowing dental-cleaning tablets, I found that they are highly toxic! Please warn your readers, especially those with elderly parents or relatives in nursing homes. I have switched to using baking soda and water to soak my partial. -- Louise K., Portage, Ind.

You just did warn them! Thank you for writing. -- Heloise


Dear Heloise: As an avid camper, I’m always looking for ways to make the experience easier on me and my family. After getting rained on one weekend, my son and I were set on finding ways to waterproof everything. He thought to keep our matches dry in pill bottles and to store spices in empty mint containers. It keeps them dry and separate from all our other supplies! -- Roy F. in Washington

Heloise’s column appears six days a week at Send a hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Tex. 78279-5000, or e-mail it to

, King Features Syndicate



Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Sleep advice you won't find in baby books
In defense of dads
Scenes from Brazil's Carajás Railway
Play Videos
For good coffee, sniff, slurp and spit
How to keep your child safe in the water
How your online data can get hijacked
Play Videos
How to avoid harmful chemicals in school supplies
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
How much can one woman eat?
Play Videos
What you need to know about Legionnaires' disease
How to get organized for back to school
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.