• Metro is most crowded between 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. and 4:45 to 5:45 p.m.
• Metro’s busiest days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
• Bikes are welcome on Metrorail but not during rush hour: between 7 to 10 a.m. or 4 to 7 p.m. On weekdays, there is a limit of two bicycles per car. All Metrobuses have bike racks.
• Metro station escalators might stop if triggered by luggage or a stroller. The escalators have safety mechanisms (sensors) that are designed to cause the unit to stop.
• Every Monday, the track work scheduled for the following weekend is posted on Metro’s Web site.
With more than 12,000 stops, the Metrobus system is the more convenient option for many commuters. Parents, though, might find themselves avoiding buses because of the requirement that strollers be collapsed before boarding. Jannike Jackson, a mother of three young children, is one of them. For her, the bus is more hassle than it’s worth.
“If you have a baby and two kids — or even a baby and one kid, for that matter — sometimes you just can’t do it,” she said. “You don’t have extra hands, so in those cases, I’d rather walk.”
The Washington Post’s mobile Metro app, DC Rider, offers train times, station advisories and news alerts from Dr. Gridlock, The Post’s transit expert. The application’s Trip Planner helps riders determine their routes and see fare rates. The app is available for iPhone or Android.
The approximate number of customers who use the Metrorail system — the second busiest in the United States — each day
Percentage of people commuting into the District and parts of Arlington County by mass transit
Total number of Metro elevators in stations and parking facilities
Total number of Metro escalators
Amount WMATA is investing to overhaul or replace 153 escalators at 25 stations in the Metro system
Number of Metrorail stations
Mileage of Metrorail tracks
Total footage of the Wheaton Station escalator, the longest in the Western hemisphere
The approximate number of city bus and Metrobus stops in the greater Washington area
Approximate number of Metrobus riders daily
Approximate number of Metrobuses that use eco-friendly fuel technologies
■Is the Metrorail system easy for parents and kids to navigate?
A. Very. I travel with children all the time.
B. Somewhat. I avoid it during rush hour.
C. Not at all. It’s easier to drive.
To vote, go to postlocal.com.