THE REGION
Condon to leave Arlington Cemetery

Kathryn Condon will step down from Arlington National Cemetery at the end of May after overseeing reforms at an iconic but troubled national landmark.

Condon was named executive director of the Army National Cemeteries Program in 2010 after investigations revealed troubles at the nation’s premier burial ground, including a mass grave, poor records and burial urns dumped into dirt.

The cemetery, which honors military veterans, no longer relies on paper records. A single database is now linked to a digital mapping system, and families can visit gravesites with the help of a mobile app.

— Susan Svrluga

THE DISTRICT
Man gets 24 years for murder conviction

A Northeast Washington man convicted of killing a man last August was sentenced Friday to 24 years in prison.

Investigators said Sean Carter, 22, chased Bidley Warren, also 22, before shooting him in the head as he lay on the ground.

“I apologize to Mr. Warren’s family and my family,” Carter said. “I know I hurt a lot of people on the day of the incident.” Carter, who fled to Atlanta after the killing, was extradited from Georgia in October and pleaded guilty in January to second-degree murder.

Prosecutors said Carter told police he had been in prior fights with Warren and the teenager.

— Keith L. Alexander

New trial set in vendor robbery

Prosecutors told a D.C. Superior Court judge Friday they are ready to move forward with a new trial of a District man charged in the 2005 beating and robbery of a Foggy Bottom street vendor.

In January, the D.C. Court of Appeals overturned the conviction of James A. Dorsey after finding that his rights were violated by being handcuffed to his chair and subjected to 13 hours of interrogation and isolation. Dorsey denied the charges and repeatedly said he wanted an attorney before he confessed, the judges said.

Prosecutors said they have new DNA evidence that they hope to link to the defendant.

Dorsey, now 54, was charged in the attack on Vasiliki Fotopoulos, then 83, who sold hats, umbrellas and other items outside the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

Judge Stuart G. Nash set the new trial for June 4.

— Keith L. Alexander

VIRGINIA
30-year sentence in 2010 fatal robbery

A Suitland man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Friday for his role in a robbery that resulted in the death of a handyman who was defending a Centreville family from intruders.

Tasheik Ashanti Champean, 46, pleaded guilty to robbery and firearms charges in federal court in Alexandria in December for the 2010 incident that left Jose Cardona dead from a gunshot wound.

Champean conspired with two other men to rob the owner of a check-cashing chain at his residence, according to court records.

— Justin Jouvenal