Howard F. Manly
public health official

Howard F. Manly, a former deputy public health commissioner for the District of Columbia who also held administrative positions with the Air Force, died July 11 at his home in Newport News, Va. He was 80.

The cause was acute myeloid leukemia, said his son, Howard C. Manly.

Howard Felton Manly was born in Newport News and came to Washington in 1951 to attend Howard University. He entered the Air Force a year later and was a veteran of the Korean War.

After active-duty service, Mr. Manly joined the Air Force Reserve, reaching the rank of lieutenant colonel before retiring in 1993. He held manpower and personnel positions with the Air Force, including director of the Field Activities Division of the old Air Force Systems Command.

He graduated from Howard in 1964 with a bachelor’s degree in government and business administration. He received a master’s degree in health-care administration from George Washington University in 1973.

In the 1970s and 1980s, Mr. Manly consulted and held executive positions with the Department of Health and Human Services, the old General Accounting Office and the National Institutes of Health. He was a health-affairs liaison with the 1978 White House Conference on Families.

Mr. Manly was operations director of the Westchester County Health Department in New York from 1987 to 1990 and was a senior program analyst with HHS before joining the D.C. government as deputy commissioner of public health in 1991. After retiring in 1994, he moved from Potomac to Newport News.

He was a member of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity and participated in civic activities, including the Rotary Club. He was also a past chapter president of Tuskegee Airmen Inc., a group honoring African American aviators from World War II.

His first marriage, to Theresa A. Powell, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, the former Barbara Fagin Bates of Newport News; two children from his first marriage, Howard C. Manly of Boston and Tamara R. Manly of Potomac; two stepchildren, Dawne B. Collier of Washington and Brandon R. Bates of Fort Worth; one brother; two sisters; and eight grandchildren.

— Matt Schudel

Frederick M. Dolan Jr.
administrative law judge

Frederick M. Dolan Jr., a longtime Interstate Commerce Commission administrative law judge who retired from the Federal Maritime Commission in 2003, died June 14 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He was 89.

He had suffered complications from a fall at his home in Bethesda, said his son Michael Dolan.

Mr. Dolan worked at the old Interstate Commerce Commission for 42 years before joining the maritime commission as an administrative law judge in 1993. He retired a decade later.

Frederick Melvin Dolan Jr., a native Washingtonian, was a 1941 graduate of Gonzaga College High School. He received a bachelor’s degree in 1947 and a law degree in 1950, both from Georgetown University.

During World War ll, he served in the Army in Europe.

He was a member of the Catholic Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Anita Acosta Dolan of Bethesda; six children, Monsignor Frederick Dolan III of Montreal, Christina Sarlo of Kensington, Theresa Tropp of Cleveland, Margaret Escobar of Raleigh, N.C., Michael Dolan of Branchburg, N.J., and John Dolan of Chatham, N.Y.; 11 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

— Megan McDonough

Katherine W. Sawick
Navy wife

Katherine W. Sawick, a homemaker and Navy wife who was active in community groups, died July 6 at Fairfax Nursing Center. She was 91.

The cause was multisystem failure, said her daughter, Kerry Sawick.

Katherine Wood was born in New York, where she spent part of her early career as an editorial assistant for CBS News. She then accompanied her husband on military assignments and lived in Norfolk for about a decade before settling in Annandale in 1969.

She was a member of a woman’s club in Annandale.

Her husband of 62 years, retired Navy Cmdr. Theodore Sawick, died in 2008. Survivors include two children, Kerry Sawick of Flower Mound, Tex., and Neal Sawick of Machias, Maine; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

— Megan McDonough

Virginia D. Zakotnik

Virginia D. Zakotnik, a retired waitress who worked for more than four decades at Washington area restaurants, died July 3 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville. She was 89.

The cause was respiratory ailments, said her daughter Linda Morgan. Mrs. Zakotnik was a Silver Spring resident.

Virginia Dare Gooslin was born in Pike County, Ky., and settled in the Washington area as a teenager. She spent much of her career at Hofberg’s delicatessen and later worked at Woodmoor Pastry Shop in Silver Spring.

Her memberships included the Inter-faith Chapel at the Leisure World retirement community in Silver Spring.

Her husband of 63 years, Theodore G Zakotnik, died in 2010.

Survivors include four children from her marriage, Pauline Barrow of West Palm Beach, Fla., Linda Morgan and Dorinda Hailstock, both of Rockville, and Thomas Zakotnik of Frederick; a daughter from a previous relationship, Leoda Mastro of Poway, Calif.; 10 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and one great-great-granddaughter.

— Emily Langer

Ed Tignor
information technology specialist

Ed Tignor, an information technology specialist who worked for Lockheed Martin as a principal systems engineer, died June 29 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville. He was 50.

The cause was a heart ailment, said his sister, Emily Keenum.

Mr. Tignor had worked for Lockheed Martin since 1999. He also did work for Chemonics International, a development firm, where he oversaw data integration, quality assurance, and research and development.

Ralph Edward Tignor was born in Rantoul, Ill. He was a 1986 electrical engineering graduate of the University of Virginia and received a master’s degree in business administration and a master’s degree in information systems, both from the University of Maryland in 1999.

He was a Bethesda resident and belonged to the Bethesda Friends Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, a Quaker congregation.

Survivors include his wife of 17 years, Shyami de Silva of Bethesda; two children, Mira G. Tignor and Nikhil R. Tignor, both of Bethesda; his father and stepmother, Rhet Tignor and Cathy Tignor of Pungoteague, Va.; a sister; and a brother.

— Emily Langer

Michael Hirsch
telecommunications executive

Michael Hirsch, an expert on telecommunications and public service regulations who operated a communications firm for more than 10 years, died June 13 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He was 70.

He had complications from a stroke, his wife, Pamela Hirsch, said.

Mr. Hirsch formed MSH Communications in 1998 and operated the company until his retirement in 2009.

Earlier in his career, he held a variety of governmental and ­private-sector technology jobs, beginning in 1967 as one of Defense Secretary Robert S. Mc­Namara’s “whiz kids” while serving in the Army Signal Corps at the Pentagon.

After working for the New York City Department of Environmental Protection in the early 1970s, Mr. Hirsch was director of policy analysis for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington from 1974 to 1977.

He was a top official of the New York State Public Service Commission from 1978 to 1981 and later was based in Massachusetts, where he often testified before government agencies in New England on issues related to public power, energy and communications.

Mr. Hirsch returned to the Washington area in 1983 and settled in McLean. He was director of data services business development for U.S. Sprint from 1983 to 1990.

As vice president of the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (now CTIA-The Wireless Association) from 1990 to 1993, he helped develop standards related to cellular telephone networks.

Mr. Hirsch ran the Washington office of Geotek Communications, an Israeli company, from 1993 to 1998 and helped it negotiate regulations and technical standards with federal agencies.

Michael Seth Hirsch, who was born in New York, was a chess prodigy as a child. He said he once defeated future chess champion Bobby Fischer before they were in their teens.

Mr. Hirsch received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, both in 1965.

Among his many interests, Mr. Hirsch collected antique maps and was a member of the Washington Map Society. He competed in chess tournaments and was participating in a duplicate bridge tournament at the time he suffered his stroke, three days before his death.

Survivors include his wife of 29 years, Pamela Rollins Hirsch of McLean; two children, Seth Hirsch of Alexandria and Sarah Hirsch of Sarasota, Fla.; and a sister.

— Matt Schudel