Minor explosion
in Gaithersburg

A juvenile was questioned in Montgomery County on Tuesday after a low-grade explosion — possibly from a firecracker — went off outside the county’s public safety building. No injuries were reported.

The loud noise was first reported at 11:09 a.m., according to a county police spokeswoman. County bomb investigators inspected the parking lot, and found remnants of the small explosion. The county’s public safety building is about one mile east of the intersection of Darnestown and Quince Orchard roads in Gaithersburg.

— Dan Morse

Police shoot stabbing suspect in Annapolis

Officers shot and killed an armed man who was suspected of fatally stabbing a woman early Tuesday in Annapolis, authorities said.

According to Annapolis police, the incident happened in the 1900 block of Copeland Street around 12:30 a.m. as officers responded to a report of a man assaulting a woman.

Officers found the woman in a parking lot. An armed man believed to be the stabbing suspect allegedly tried to approach the woman and the officers. There was a confrontation between officers and the man, police said, and officers fatally shot him. The woman was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

— Maggie Fazeli Fard

Officials: Alexandria
fire not an accident

The fire that ripped through a two-story warehouse in Alexandria on Sept. 2 was not accidental, fire marshals have concluded, and a person of interest has been identified.

That person has been interviewed but is not in custody, Alexandria Fire Chief Adam Thiel said at a news conference Tuesday evening. He said authorities are “not concerned” that the person will cause more harm to the community. He declined to elaborate.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives helped the Alexandria Fire Department determine that the fire was incendiary in nature. Officials will not label the fire “arson” because the word “has a specific legal definition,” Thiel said.

“How this case will be prosecuted and what will happen next is up to the commonwealth’s attorney,” he said.

More than 200 firefighters fought the blaze at 801 S. Pickett St. Four were hurt; two remain off duty with minor injuries.