The family of one of the victims in the Washington Navy Yard shooting filed a lawsuit Wednesday against two federal government agencies and two government contractors alleging that they failed to secure the Southeast D.C. facility and failed to respond appropriately to the myriad signs of mental health issues the shooter exhibited in the months and years before the massacre.
The 96-page complaint — filed in federal court in Florida on behalf of the family of Mary Frances DeLorenzo Knight — is the first lawsuit in the wake of the September shooting rampage carried out by a gunman who had an all-access security pass to the military installation. Knight, a computer scientist from Reston, was one of a dozen people gunned down by Aaron Alexis.
— Matt Zapotosky
A 24-year-old Maryland resident has been charged with negligent homicide in a car crash that occurred two months ago in Arlington.
According to the U.S. Park Police, Carlos Joel Alonso was heading outbound on Arlington Memorial Bridge on Oct. 11 when his car overturned and crashed at Memorial Circle. The passenger in the car, 36-year-old Katharine Jane Brannon Rahim, was killed. Alonso left the scene of the crash, police said, and was found several hours later at Columbia Island Marina.
— Rachel Weiner
Democrat Jennifer Boysko has formally filed a petition for a recount in last month’s tight election for the 86th District seat in the Virginia House of Delegates.
After 21,000 votes cast in that Nov. 5 election, the state board of elections declared Republican Tom Rust (Loudoun) the winner by just 54 votes, or a 0.26 percent margin.
Boysko’s petition, filed late Tuesday in Fairfax County’s Circuit Court, sets in motion a court-governed procedure to have all ballots counted again — similar to the recount underway in the election for Virginia attorney general.
Boysko’s attorney, Christian Sautter, said he expects a preliminary hearing to occur within a week.
A spokeswoman for Rust said that he believes he won the election but plans to honor the procedure for a recount.
— Antonio Olivo
Hypothermia was a factor in the death of a man in Prince George’s County recently, prompting state health officials to warn the public about the dangers of cold weather Wednesday.
The man, aged between 45 and 64, died some time between Nov. 26 and Dec. 2, according to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. For privacy reasons, no other details of the death are being released, officials said.
At least 19 cold-weather-related deaths occurred in Maryland last winter, according to health department data.
— Baltimore Sun