Robert O. Duncan Jr.
PR. GEORGE’S official

Robert O. Duncan Jr., who was Prince George’s County’s chief administrative officer under then-County Executive Parris N. Glendening, died Nov. 13 at his home in Laurel. He was 72.

He had a stroke, said his wife, Paulette B. Duncan.

Mr. Duncan worked 25 years for the Prince George’s government, beginning in 1970 as an accounting supervisor for the Board of Education. He was director of budget and management from 1976 to 1986 and deputy chief administrative officer from 1986 to 1994. He retired in 1995 as chief administrative officer.

Robert Owen Duncan Jr. was born in Baltimore. He graduated in 1963 from what is now Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore. He received a master’s degree in administrative science from Johns Hopkins University in 1980.

After retiring from the Prince George’s government, Mr. Duncan spent nine years as chief of the Bureau of Accounting and Payroll Services for the city of Baltimore. From 2002 to 2006, he was an appointed member of the Prince George’s Board of Education.

In 2011, he was named to the Prince George’s County Personnel Board and served on the board until his death.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Paulette Boarman Duncan of Laurel; and two sons, Robert F. Duncan of Washington and Brian C. Duncan of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

— Bart Barnes

Jane Louise McGavin

Jane Louise McGavin, an Arlington County artist, community activist and athlete, died Dec. 3 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. She was 92.

The cause was sepsis and ischemic bowel disease, said daughter Deborah McCune.

As an artist, Mrs. McGavin worked in watercolor, pastels, oil and acrylic, and her work received awards from local art organizations. She served on the board of the Art League at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria.

She also led fundraising drives for the American Cancer Society and Heart Association and was a former president of the Arlington County Medical Auxliary. Through her membership in Walker Chapel United Methodist Church in Arlington, she was a Meals on Wheels volunteer.

Mrs. McGavin’s athletic endeavors included tennis, golf, bowling, biking and long-distance walking. When she was in her eighties, she was named “fitness person of the month” at Washington Golf and Country Club.

Jane Louise Haupt was born in Reading, Pa., where she graduated in 1942 from Albright College.

In 1950, she moved to Arlington with her husband, Dr. Thomas A. McGavin. He died in 2008. They were married 63 years.

Survivors include seven children, Lynda L. Moses of Rehoboth, Del., Thomas A McGavin Jr. of New York, Lee H. McGavin of Austin, Deborah A. McCune of McLean, Jean P McGavin of Bethlehem, Conn., John D. McGavin of Great Falls, and James E. McGavin of Leesburg; 16 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.

— Bart Barnes

Frederick E. Frame
Army sergeant, TSA employee

Frederick E. Frame, a retired Army sergeant and military police officer who later worked in airport security for the Transportation Security Administration, died Dec. 2 at Laurel Regional Hospital in Maryland. He was 67.

He died of cardiac arrest and had suffered a stroke in 2009, said his daughter, Meagan Frame.

Frederick Earnest Frame was born at Fort Polk, La., where his father was serving in the Army. He grew up in Gambrills, Md., and graduated from Arundel High School.

He then joined the Army and was a military police officer in Okinawa and Korea. In the 1970s and early 1980s, he was in the Army Reserve. He was recalled to active duty during the Persian Gulf War.

As a civilian, Sgt. Frame operated a sedan service, providing transportation to and from airports and other locations.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he worked in airport security, initially for private contractors and later with the TSA until 2009. He was a resident of Beltsville.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Nung Ok Chu Frame of Beltsville; two children, Meagan Ok Frame of Annapolis and Anthony Earnest Frame of Mount Holly, N.C.; and a grandson.

— Bart Barnes

James W. Vaughan Jr.
senior federal executive

James W. Vaughan Jr., former assistant secretary of energy for nuclear energy and an assistant to Adm. Hyman G. Rickover in the development of naval nuclear propulsion, died Dec. 4 at Mount Vernon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Fairfax County. He was 77.

The cause was brain cancer, said his son, Keith Vaughan.

Mr. Vaughan was assistant secretary for nuclear energy from 1984 to 1987. He began his federal career in1957 in the Naval nuclear propulsion program and for 28 years reported directly to Rickover, widely regarded as the father of the nuclear navy.

On retiring from federal service in 1987, Mr. Vaughan was president and general manager of Halliburton NUS environmental corporation in Gaithersburg until 1993 and then for 10 years was a private technical and management consultant.

James Willard Vaughan Jr. was born in Durham, N.C. As a youngster, he became an Eagle Scout, and he was a Boy Scout leader as an adult.

He graduated from Duke University in 1957 and did postgraduate study in nuclear engineering at George Washington University and the University of Maryland.

He was a member of the Senior Executive Service and received awards for distinguished service. He was an Alexandria resident.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Frances Smith Vaughan of Alexandria; two sons, Kevin S. Vaughan of Cleveland and Keith A. Vaughan of Washington; a brother; and two grandsons.    

— Bart Barnes

Frederick V. Thomas
company president

Frederick V. Thomas, the founder and president of a real estate company, died Nov. 28 at his home in Chevy Chase. He was 88.

The cause was Alzheimer’s disease, said his daughter, Maria Thomas-Wenzel.

Mr. Thomas began his career as a science teacher in Prince George’s County before founding the real estate firm Thomas & Kelley in 1965. He retired in the late 1990s.

Frederick Vincent Thomas was a native of Troy, N.Y., and a 1952 graduate of the University of Richmond. He was a petty officer in the Navy during World War II.

Mr. Thomas was a member of the choir at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in the District.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Rosalma LaGravinese Thomas of Chevy Chase; and two children, Maria Thomas-Wenzel of Silver Spring and Frederick Thomas Jr. of Delray Beach, Fla.

— Samantha Raphelson

Cornelius D. Scully III
State Department official

Cornelius D. Scully III, a State Department official who retired in 1997 as director of the Office of Legislation, Regulation and Advisory Assistance in the Bureau of Consular Affairs, died Nov. 30 at his home in Washington. He was 77.

He had cancer, said his brother Malcolm Scully.

Mr. Scully began his career at the State Department in 1962 and served early in his career in Nice, France, and in Montreal. He later held various posts in the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

After his 1997 retirement, he was a consultant on immigration law until earlier this year.

Cornelius Decatur Scully III was born in Pittsburgh. He graduated from Episcopal High School in Alexandria in 1953 and from the University of Virginia in 1957. He served in the Navy for three years after college.

In 1972, he received a law degree from George Washington University.

Mr. Scully served on the Community Advisory Committee Board of the Eastern Market on Capitol Hill.

His marriage to JoNeal Hendricks ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 24 years, Marion F. “Muffie” Houstoun of Washington; two sons from his first marriage, Sean Scully of Calistoga, Calif., and Evan Scully of Richmond; a stepdaughter, Alexandra Houstoun Craige of Fairfax County; two brothers, Richard T. Scully of Washington and Malcolm G. Scully of Falls Church; and four grandchildren.

— Bart Barnes