Second streetcar delivered to test site

The streetcars are coming! The streetcars are coming!

Officials with the District Department of Transportation announced that another of the six streetcars expected to run on the H Street Line arrived Tuesday in the District. The streetcar is one of three built by an Oregon-based company.

The streetcar was delivered to the testing and commissioning site on South Capitol Street in Anacostia and will be run through a series of tests to determine whether it’s ready for action.

— Lori Aratani

Man who leapt off freeway ramp identified

Maryland State Police have identified the man who died Tuesday morning after authorities said he leapt off a freeway ramp while fleeing from a trooper and was hit by a truck.

Police were attempting to pull over Christopher Jarrell Wood of Temple Hills, who was driving a gray 2009 Hyundai about 3 a.m. Tuesday in College Park, officials said. Wood was going south on Interstate 495 and tried to exit using U.S. Route 50 to get away but crashed into barriers on both sides, Sgt. John Hill said.

Wood then got out of the car and jumped over the barrier near the right side of the ramp, landing in the fast lane of I-495, Hill said. A 2009 Toyota truck hit him.

The truck’s driver was not hurt and stayed at the scene, Hill said.

— Lynh Bui

Head-on collision in Pr. George’s kills 2

Two men are dead after their vehicle and a taxicab crashed head-on, splitting one of the cars in two just outside the entrance to the Landover Metro station in Prince George’s County.

The crash happened about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday at Pennsy Drive and Old Landover Road, fire officials said. County police tweeted that the crash did not appear to be related to the weather.

The taxi and the other vehicle, which had two men inside, were going in opposite directions when the incident occurred, but it was unclear what caused the collision, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the county fire department. An investigation is continuing.

The driver of the taxicab suffered serious injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening, officials said. The men in the other car, which split in two, died. The victims’ names were not released because officials were still trying to notify their families.

— Lynh Bui