Traffic cameras to go after more infractions

The automated traffic cameras that have issued hundreds of thousands of tickets to drivers who speed or run red lights in the District will begin spitting them out for several other traffic infractions Saturday.

The cameras, which have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for the city, will be positioned to catch drivers who block intersections, roll through stop signs, fail to yield to pedestrians, pass through an intersection at an unsafe speed or take an oversize bus or truck on a street too small to accommodate it.

The fines for blocking an intersection or rolling through a stop sign are $50. All of the other violations carry a $250 fine.

The cameras have been in place since November, but the District extended the normal warning period until Feb. 1.

— Ashley Halsey

Harrison’s grandson charged with theft

A grandson of the late Maryland Del. Hattie N. Harrison (D-Baltimore) has been charged with stealing more than $17,600 from her campaign, the Office of the Maryland State Prosecutor announced Monday.

Prosecutors said that Philip Harrison II wrote numerous unauthorized checks from the campaign account to himself and his girlfriend between 2006 and 2010 and also used campaign funds to pay Comcast and Verizon bills.

For part of that period, Philip Harrison was treasurer of his grandmother’s campaign. Some of the later checks were written after he no longer held that position and included forged signatures of the current campaign treasurer, prosecutors said.

Philip Harrison, a Salisbury resident, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Hattie Harrison, who died last year at age 84, had been the longest-serving member of the House of Delegates. She first became a member of the chamber in 1973.

— John Wagner

Girl rescued after falling into well

A 10-year-old girl was rescued after she fell into a 30-foot well in the 800 block of 207th Street in Pasadena on Monday afternoon, fire officials said.

The child fell down the well shortly after 4 p.m. and was removed at 4:35 p.m., according to tweets from Anne Arundel County Fire Division Chief Keith Swindle.

Swindle said the girl was flown to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore with injuries, including hypothermia, that were not considered life threatening.

“She was conscious, alert and oriented,” Anne Arundel County Police Capt. Michael Pfaltzgraff said.

It took 21 personnel about 30 minutes to extricate the girl. It wasn’t immediately known how the girl fell into the well, Pfaltzgraff said.

The well was on residential property, Pfaltzgraff said

— Baltimore Sun

Man injured in townhouse fire

A man suffered life-threatening injuries Monday in a townhouse fire in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County.

The fire broke out about 3 a.m., officials said, in the 8500 block of Towne Manor Court. The man was rescued from the third floor of the townhouse by firefighters and flown by helicopter to a hospital.

Another person escaped from the townhouse unharmed, according to Dan Schmidt, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire Department.

Firefighters also rescued four dogs from the blaze. One dog died in the fire.

— Dana Hedgpeth