The Washington Post

9 treated for carbon monoxide at hotel by BWI

Eight workers and a guest at the Westin Baltimore Washington International Airport were taken to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday afternoon, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.

Authorities said they found high levels of carbon monoxide in the hotel after a paramedic was called there to treat an employee in the laundry area of the building who felt weak.

Fire officials evacuated all seven levels of the hotel, at 1110 Old Elkridge Landing Road in Linthicum Heights, Fire Department Lt. Russ Davis said.

While treating that patient, a carbon monoxide alarm went off, indicating high levels of carbon monoxide in the building.

Davis said four people, all hotel workers, were transported to the Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Five other people were taken to local hospitals. All were in stable condition, Davis said.

It is unclear how many guests were at the hotel, but fire officials say hotel management said 64 rooms were occupied at the time.

Fire officials shut down all combustion appliances and ventilated the building. Davis said the hotel remains empty while authorities determine the source of the carbon monoxide leak.

Luz Lazo writes about transportation and development. She has recently written about the challenges of bus commuting, Metro’s dark stations, and the impact of sequestration on air travel.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
How to make Sean Brock's 'Heritage' cornbread
New limbs for Pakistani soldiers
The signature dish of Charleston, S.C.
Play Videos
Why seasonal allergies make you miserable
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
What you need to know about filming the police
Play Videos
The Post taste tests Pizza Hut's new hot dog pizza
5 tips for using your thermostat
Michael Bolton's cinematic serenade to Detroit
Play Videos
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
The signature drink of New Orleans

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.