Albrecht G. Muth, charged in the beating and strangulation of his wife at their Georgetown home, has resumed eating and has been discharged from a local hospital, D.C. jail officials said in an e-mail to prosecutors.

In a May 1 e-mail filed with D.C. Superior Court, D.C. jail attorney Maria Amato told prosecutors Muth was discharged from United Medical Center and returned to the D.C. jail.

Muth, 48, is charged with first-degree murder in the 2011 death of Viola Herms Drath, his socialite wife who was 91 at the time.

Muth stopped eating late last year and was eventually hospitalized. Because of his fast and hospitalization, Judge Russell F. Canan delayed Muth’s March trial until Dec. 2.

In the e-mail to prosecutors, Amato said Muth told jail officials he planned to resume his hunger fast once he was returned to the jail.

At a hearing last month, Canan ruled Muth’s trial will not be delayed a third time as a result of the fast and that the proceedings will commence, with or without Muth in the courtroom. On Thursday, Canan also set a “backup” trial date for Jan. 6, 2014.