Fifty people in nearby buildings evacuated Saturday morning as Arlington County firefighters responded to a major gas leak in the 100-block of Wilson Boulevard near the Clarendon Metro station, officials said. The gas leak was caused by nearby construction.

Six addresses in the commercial area were evacuated as a precaution after Arlington County firefighters responded to the leak at 10:51 a.m. Saturday, said Bill Shelton, captain of the fire marshal’s office. There were no injuries reported and Metro service was not affected as of noon Saturday. Firefighters were able to slow down the leak significantly as workers from Washington Gas arrived on scene to shut down gas for the street and address the problem.

Noting that the area was likely less crowded because it was a weekend day, Shelton said, “That’s a good thing.”