The Washington Post

Assisted living facility evacuated in Rockville

An assisted living facility in Rockville was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after a water pipe broke in its electrical room, according to a spokeswoman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

Beth Anne Nesselt said the pipe burst in the ceiling of the room at Raphael House, at 1515 Dunster Road, setting off an automatic fire alarm shortly before 2:15 p.m.

Twenty-eight residents and nine staff members were transported to the recreation center at a nearby church as called for by Raphael House’s emergency planning, Nesselt said. It was unknown as of 4:15 p.m. when the residents and staff members would be able to return to the assisted living facility.

Building and electric service officials were on the scene looking into the incident, Nesselt said.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Sleep advice you won't find in baby books
In defense of dads
Scenes from Brazil's Carajás Railway
Play Videos
For good coffee, sniff, slurp and spit
How to keep your child safe in the water
How your online data can get hijacked
Play Videos
How to avoid harmful chemicals in school supplies
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
How much can one woman eat?
Play Videos
What you need to know about Legionnaires' disease
How to get organized for back to school
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.