The Washington Post

Co-defendant in Latisha Frazier murder, kidnapping case pleads guilty

A 21-year-old man from Southeast Washington pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder and kidnapping charges in connection with the summer 2010 beating death of District teenager Latisha Frazier.

Laurence Kamal Hassan, 22, is one of six defendants — three male and three female — charged in Frazier’s slaying. Four have pleaded guilty, and two are scheduled for trial.

According to prosecutors, on Aug. 1, 2010, Hassan and his co-defendants invited Frazier to an apartment in the 1700 block of Trenton Place SE intending to “teach her a lesson” because they suspected that she had stolen $900 from one of them. They developed a plan to lure the 18-year-old to Hassan’s bedroom, where they would beat her.

The next day, the group gathered to carry out the plan. Frazier was invited to the apartment, and Hassan led her to his bedroom. Frazier tried to leave, but Hassan blocked her way, prosecutors said.

The group began hitting her before Hassan left the bedroom, prosecutors said. The beating continued without Hassan until Frazier cried for it to stop.

Even after it had stopped for a time, two of the men in the group stepped in and punched and kicked Frazier, prosecutors said.

The defendants then decided to bind Frazier, and Hassan went to a hardware store to buy tape, prosecutors said. When he returned, the group bound Frazier at her wrists and ankles and put her in a closet. At that time, Frazier was still alive and crying. Later that day, someone checked on her and told the rest of the group that she was dead, prosecutors said.

After learning that Frazier had died, Hassan and the others tried to figure out what to do with her body, prosecutors said. The initial plan was to dismember her, put her in a container and dispose of her in a park. The next day, Hassan scouted for a park in the District to do that, prosecutors said.

Hassan was present while others tried to dismember Frazier’s body in a bathtub. Ultimately, though, Hassan ordered his friends to remove Frazier’s body from the house, and her remains were thrown into a Dumpster behind his home. Trash collectors emptied the contents in a landfill, and authorities have not been able to locate Frazier’s remains.

Frazier had a 3-year-old daughter when she went missing.

Hassan is scheduled to be sentenced in January in D.C. Superior Court.

Keith Alexander covers crime, specifically D.C. Superior Court cases for The Washington Post. He has covered dozens of crime stories from Banita Jacks, the Washington woman charged with killing her four daughters, to the murder trial of slain federal intern Chandra Levy.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.