Three Laurel residents sent to the hospital Saturday after escaping a fire may have been hurt as they tried to rescue their dog from the burning home, authorities said.

The three victims were injured after being exposed to smoke and heat after a fire broke out at about 10:15 a.m. in their home on the 15600 block of Haynes Road, according to Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire Department.

“It appears that some of the exposure may have occurred in attempts to rescue their dog that, unfortunately, perished in the fire,” Brady said in a statement.

One woman was taken to a burn unit, and two men were taken to a local hospital. All three are reported to be in good condition with non-life threatening injuries.

Preliminary investigations indicate that the fire may have been accidental.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail