Forty-one rabbits in Prince George’s County need a new home after they were rescued Tuesday from a fire in a New Carrollton home.
The fire broke out in the basement of a house in the 6600 block of Adrian Street. Authorities were called after the homeowner awoke from an afternoon nap and saw smoke. Firefighters said in a news release that they “believe a burning log shifted in a fireplace and fell out igniting nearby combustibles.”
Officials said the home “did not have a working smoke alarm.” The damage was estimated at $20,000.
The homeowner escaped the house before firefighters arrived and went to a neighbor’s house. He is being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit with temporary shelter. It was unclear if he took the rabbits with him, or if the firefighters rescued the pets from the fire.
The County Animal Management Division took the 41 rabbits. The homeowner relinquished the rabbits to the animal officials.
“Rabbits galore!” said one animal management official. “We’ve just received a huge delivery of bunny rabbits that need homes.”
The animal group is offering a discount of $30 per adopted pet.
The animal official said, “Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter.”