The Washington Post

7 at hospitals after gas leak at D.C. school

Several students, staffers and a parent were taken to hospitals Thursday after they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide gas that apparently leaked from a defective boiler at an elementary school in Northeast Washington, D.C. Fire and EMS officials said.

Langley Elementary School will be closed Friday because of the broken broiler and a forecast of near-freezing temperatures, D.C. schools officials said.

Medics evaluated 76 people, including 56 juveniles, outside the school in the 100 block of T Street NE about 3:30 p.m., said Tim Wilson, a fire department spokesman.

Four students, two staffers and a parent were taken to hospitals in serious, but not life-threatening, condition, Wilson said. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, and its effects can be toxic.

Authorities ventilated the elementary school and levels of the gas dropped, Wilson said.

Clarence Williams is the night police reporter for The Washington Post and has spent the better part of 13 years standing next to crime scene tape, riding in police cars or waking officials in the middle of night to gather information about breaking news in and around Washington.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.