D.C. firefighters quickly extinguished a small kitchen fire Wednesday in a restaurant on the grounds of the National Zoo in Northwest Washington, according to a fire department spokesman.
The call came about 11:50 a.m., and firefighters were on the scene off Connecticut Avenue by noon. The fire was out in a few minutes.
Pamela Baker-Masson, a spokeswoman for the zoo, said there was more smoke than fire, and while patrons were briefly ushered out of the restaurant, they were quickly allowed to return. The restaurant reopened.
Annalisa Meyer, another spokeswoman for the zoo, said the fire appears to have started in the kitchen of the Mane Grill, near the lion and tiger exhibits and the Rock Creek entrance. No injuries were reported
Meyer said no animal exhibits were affected.