The D.C. woman prosecutors say was stabbed to death in June by her friend and neighbor had wanted to end the friendship, authorities said Wednesday.

It’s not clear why Amber Lynette Kent, 28, no longer wanted to be friends with Cydrisse Alvin. But during a Wednesday hearing in D.C. Superior Court, a police officer said Kent’s boyfriend spoke to him of her feelings two days before her death. Authorities also said Alvin was under the influence of PCP at the time of the attack.

About 9 a.m. on June 4, authorities say, Alvin, 31, armed with a steak knife, knocked on Kent’s apartment door in the 3400 block of 13th Street SE.

Prosecutors say Kent and her boyfriend were asleep on a mattress in the living room while Kent’s 6-year-old daughter was in the bedroom. Kent, wearing a nightgown, answered the door and let Alvin inside.

Minutes later, according to court records, Kent’s boyfriend heard screams and then saw Alvin stabbing Kent in her chest and back before fleeing.

Alvin was arrested hours after the incident while picking up her daughter at a D.C. school. Authorities were testing a knife that was left behind in the apartment to see whether there were traces of DNA or other evidence.

D.C. homicide detective Tony Patterson testified Wednesday that Kent told her boyfriend that she no longer wanted to be Alvin’s friend two days before the attack. Patterson did not say what Kent’s reasons were or whether Kent ever told Alvin of her intentions.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Lara Worm called the attack “extremely disturbing and unprovoked.”

Patterson also testified that Alvin had a history of PCP use, which, according to Alvin’s friends and neighbors, left her acting “bizarre.” On May 31, he said, police were called to Alvin’s apartment to check on her daughter’s welfare. While at the apartment, Patterson said, officers smelled the drug and then took Alvin to a hospital for examination.

Alvin was charged with second-degree murder in the case. Prosecutors had offered her a deal in which she would plead guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed, for which she could be sentenced to between 12 and 15 years in prison. Alvin, through her attorney, rejected the deal.

Worm said her office planned to indict Alvin on first-degree murder charges, which carry a 30-year minimum sentence.

“The defendant came there with the intent and the murder weapon,” Worm told D.C. Superior Court Judge Ronna L. Beck.

Alvin’s attorney, Anthony Matthews of the District’s Public Defender Service, argued that his client should be released from jail pending trial because she had no prior arrests or convictions and no drug tests confirming PCP use. Beck declined, ordering Alvin to remain in jail. Her next hearing was scheduled for Oct. 26.