A Maryland State Police cruiser sits at a blocked southbound entrance on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway that accesses the National Security Agency on Monday in Fort Meade. (Patrick Semansky/AP)

The man who died Monday after the stolen SUV he was in crashed outside the National Security Agency was a Baltimore resident with a criminal history, according to federal officials and court records.

The FBI on Tuesday identified Ricky Shawatza Hall, 27, as one of the two men in a Ford Escape that police fired at as the vehicle plowed into a police cruiser just outside the NSA’s Fort Meade campus. Authorities did not offer more details about how he died.

A second man in the SUV was injured during the incident and remained hospitalized as of Tuesday afternoon, officials said. The FBI did not name the man, but two law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation identified him as Kevin Lamont Fleming, 20.

Both men in the car were dressed as women at the time of the crash “but not in an attempt to disguise themselves from authorities,” according to a prepared statement from FBI spokeswoman Amy J. Thoreson. Court records identify Hall as both a male and a female.

The FBI would not elaborate on a motive but has said that the incident did not appear to be a planned attack or related to terrorism. The driver of the stolen car may have mistakenly taken a restricted exit heading toward an NSA security post about 9 a.m. Monday and ignored police commands to stop, possibly because there were drugs inside the vehicle, according to authorities familiar with the investigation.

Police fired at the SUV as it accelerated toward the cruiser, NSA officials said, injuring a police officer. In the aftermath of the crash, images from local television cameras showed two vehicles with smashed bumpers at a security gate near NSA headquarters, 26 miles north of Washington.

The injured NSA police officer was released from the hospital Monday, according to the FBI.

Authorities are still investigating the events that allegedly led Hall and Fleming to the NSA, but officials with knowledge of the investigation said those reviewing the case believe a 60-year-old man who owns the Ford Escape picked up two men dressed as women in Baltimore on Sunday night or early Monday.

Howard County police said in a statement that the three men checked into the Terrace Motel on U.S. 1, also called Washington Boulevard, at 7:30 a.m. Monday before two of the men stole the SUV at about 8:30 a.m. Authorities had previously said the motel was in nearby Jessup.

A manager for the Terrace Motel declined to comment when reached Tuesday morning.

Police said the SUV turned off the southbound Baltimore-Washington Parkway shortly before 9 a.m. and took an exit marked as restricted to NSA employees.

Online court records show Hall and Fleming have criminal histories in Maryland.

Hall was convicted of theft and second-degree assault in 2008 and was on probation after pleading guilty to robbery in 2013, according to those records. The records also show he was found guilty of prostitution in 2012 under the alias Jerrell ­Laber.

Meanwhile, Fleming is awaiting a hearing in June in Anne Arundel County after being charged with violating the terms of his probation. He had been convicted for stealing a tip jar containing $100.99 and was sentenced to probation before judgment and fined.

Anne Arundel court records show Fleming was arrested on March 9 on the probation violation charge. The reason was not immediately clear. He was released March 25, pending his court hearing.

An address for Fleming in court records is listed as an organization called Youth Empowered Society, which describes itself as Baltimore City’s “first and only drop-in center for homeless youth.”

Federal prosecutors and the FBI are working to determine whether any charges will be filed.

Dana Hedgpeth, Sari Horwitz, Jennifer Jenkins and Ellen Nakashima contributed to this report.