The Washington Post

Former Redskins player Fred Davis surrenders to D.C. police on warrant

File: Fred Davis turns to run after a catch against the New York Jets during the first half of their NFL football game in Landover, Maryland, December 4, 2011. (© Jonathan Ernst / Reuters)

Former Washington Redskins player Fred Davis was freed from jail Thursday afternoon, hours after he surrendered to D.C. police who had been trying to serve an arrest warrant charging him with assault in connection with a domestic dispute in Adams Morgan.

Magistrate Judge Lori Parker ordered Davis released from custody but warned him he had to stay away from his ex-girlfriend. His next hearing is scheduled for Aug. 28 in D.C. Superior Court.

Police had been searching for Davis since the alleged assault June 2, and they made their plea public Wednesday. Officer Araz Alali, a police spokesman, said Davis walked into the Third District police station on V Street Northwest at 7:20 a.m. on Thursday.

Police said the dispute occurred about 3 a.m. at the Diner, a 24-hour restaurant in the 2400 block of 18th Street NW. A police report said the victim, also 28, was eating with a man in the restaurant when Davis came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulder. The woman told police he forcefully spun her around and told the man, “Why are you with her?”

The woman walked outside. Davis followed, “grabbed a handful of dirt and flowers from the hanging plant box and threw them at her,” the report says. The woman told police she retreated into the restaurant and tried to grab a plastic condiment bottle to squirt at Davis but was stopped by a bystander.

The police report said the argument went on for some time before Davis drove off in a car. The woman told police she was not injured. She did not call police until the following afternoon.

At Thursday’s hearing, Davis, wearing a black T-shirt, sweat pants and wrist and ankle shackles, stood next to his attorney, William Martin, and entered a plea of not guilty. Davis was charged with one count of assault and one count of attempted threats.

After the hearing, Martin said Davis’s girlfriend was “trying to get back” at his client. “There does not appear to be any merit to these charges,” Martin said. “There was no assault. No threat. No violence.”

Davis faces charges of assault and attempted threats, both misdemeanors. Each carries a possible penalty of up to 180 days in jail and/or fines up to $1,000.

Davis, who played tight end for the Redskins for six years, was suspended indefinitely in February by the NFL for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. A day later, police in Fairfax County arrested him on Gallows Road at Leesburg Pike, charging him with driving while intoxicated. Court records show the charge was dismissed.

Peter Hermann covers crime for The Washington Post.
Keith Alexander covers crime, specifically D.C. Superior Court cases for The Washington Post. He has covered dozens of crime stories from Banita Jacks, the Washington woman charged with killing her four daughters, to the murder trial of slain federal intern Chandra Levy.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.