The Washington Post

Grease buildup caused fire at Wheaton mall

Fire officials said a buildup of grease in ductwork over the cooking area caused a fire Saturday at a popular Peruvian chicken restaurant at the Westfield Wheaton mall.

The mall in Montgomery County was evacuated after the fire broke out at the Crisp & Juicy Peruvian rotisserie chicken restaurant.

Scott Graham, assistant chief for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, said the fire did about $180,000 worth of damage. A firefighter suffered minor injuries in battling the blaze.

The fire began about 11 a.m. Saturday, and the mall had to be closed for several hours. It reopened just after 2:30 p.m. that day.

Graham said “grease has a tendency to build up in the ductwork” and that it is “not uncommon” for firefighters to “see this type of a fire in a restaurant.”

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

Dana Hedgpeth is a Post reporter, working the early morning, reporting on traffic, crime and other local issues.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.