The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department investigates the scene of a fatal shooting early in the morning on June 21 in the 1600 block of Columbia Road NW. (Tom LeGro/The Washington Post)

Police in the District reported a series of violent incidents early Saturday that included a homicide in Adams Morgan, a pursuit that ended with gunfire and a car accident in which authorities said a man shot at firefighters and officers.

In addition, D.C. police said four people were shot in the 1800 block of Florida Avenue NW near the southern end of Adams Morgan.

The slaying occurred about 2:20 a.m. in the 1600 block of Columbia Road NW, near Mozart Place in the northeastern corner of Adams Morgan, several blocks from the neighborhood’s late-night entertainment strip.

Officer Araz Alali, a police spokesman, identified the victim as Luis Avila Melende, 27, of Northeast. Alali said Melendez was pronounced dead at an area hospital. No other details were released.

About an hour later and one mile away, police said, three men and one woman were struck by gunfire at Florida Avenue and U Street in Northwest. None of the injuries were life-threatening, police said, and the incident is not believed to be related to the earlier homicide.

About 3:45 a.m., Montgomery County police said, they chased a maroon Ford SUV traveling about 100 mph into the District along Georgia Avenue. The chase ended with a crash with a police car on Van Buren Street NW in the Takoma neighborhood, police said, and a Montgomery County officer fired his weapon, striking the SUV’s tire. The driver was arrested. Police said the chase began when the driver tried to run down two officers in Silver Spring.

About 4:30 a.m., police investigating a car accident in the 2100 block of H Street NE said one of the drivers pulled out a gun and opened fire on officers, firefighters treating the injured and a crowd that had gathered. No one was injured, said Alali. The fire union president said firefighters from Truck 13 dived behind their firetruck for cover.

Alali said the suspected gunman took off in a car that was stopped after a pursuit into Southeast, where he was arrested. Alali said a gun was recovered.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail