A man was in serious condition Tuesday after he was said to be on fire in Northeast Washington.
D.C. Fire and Rescue officials said they received a call around 10:24 a.m. for a report of “an adult male on fire” in the 3400 block of Benning Road NE.
After responding to a separate distress call at the same location, police Capt. Regis Bryant said, an MPD officer caught sight of the man on fire. “He jumped into heroic action and pushed the guy to the ground,” Bryant said.
Another police officer helped tear off the man’s jacket and roll him on the ground until the flames were extinguished. Neither officer was injured.
The fire was put out before firefighters arrived to transport the man to an area hospital, said D.C. police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump. It appears to have been accidental.
In a separate incident, authorities said they received a call at 8:20 a.m. for a report of an electrocution at a large construction site in the 800 block of 22nd Street NW. Few details were immediately available. Fire officials said the person was taken to an area hospital and the person was listed in critical condition.