The man who fired at two Prince George’s County officers before they shot him on Southern Avenue on Tuesday night remained in a hospital in critical condition Wednesday, police said.

The incident began about 10 p.m., when officers responded to 911 calls about a man shooting a handgun into the air on Audrey Lane in the Glassmanor area, according to Assistant Prince George’s Police Chief Kevin Davis.

Davis said the officers spotted the man, still armed, in the 800 block of Southern Avenue, and ordered him to drop his weapon.

The man refused, Davis said, raising his gun and firing several rounds at the officers. The officers returned fire and hit the man several times, Davis said. He said investigators have located witnesses that so far corroborate that account.

Authorities have not publicly identified the man. He has not been charged with a crime.

Davis said neither officer was struck by gunfire. He said D.C. police will lead the investigation into the incident because it technically occurred in the city. Prince George’s internal affairs detectives will assist in the probe, he said.

The Prince George’s border, Davis said, ends at the sidewalk on the Prince George’s side of Southern Avenue, and the entire roadway is within the District’s boundaries.

Officers from both District and Prince George’s are authorized to drive along Southern Avenue and respond to crimes that occur there, Davis said. The man was shot in the roadway, closer to the sidewalk on the D.C. side, Davis said.

The two Prince George’s officers — one who has been on the force for 11 / 2 years and the other who has been on for five — have been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated,standard procedure in police-involved shootings, Davis said. He said Prince George’s police would release the officers’ names Thursday, after they have a full day to notify relatives about the incident.

The shooting is county police’s eighth this year, Davis said. In 2011, the department recorded 15 police-involved shootings, Davis said.

Davis said that after a preliminary investigation, the shooting seemed justified and the officers seemed to have followed the appropriate procedures. It remained unclear, he said, why the man was shooting into the air, though investigators planned to have his blood tested to determine whether he had been using drugs.