The Washington Post

Man sought in Metro kidnapping, armed robbery surrenders to Pr. George’s police

A suspect has surrendered to authorities in connection with an incident in which a man was allegedly robbed after being kidnapped in the Metro system and forced to ride the Green Line at gunpoint.

Metro Transit Police said Timothy Pernell Williams, 21, turned himself in Friday night and was facing charges of kidnapping and armed robbery. The surrender came days after a warrant had been issued for him in the Dec. 20 incident.

In that incident, Metro officials said a man was accosted at the Naylor Road station in Prince George’s County and forced to ride five stops to the Waterfront station in Southwest Washington.

The kidnapper’s gun was apparently covered by a sweatshirt as he and the victim rode the train, Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said.

At Waterfront, the two apparently left the station and went to two nearby businesses, where the victim was forced to make withdrawals at ATMs, Stessel said.

They then returned to the station, where the kidnapper and victim boarded separate trains, Stessel said. Metro later posted two surveillance photographs of a man they said they wanted to identify as part of their investigation.

Stessel said Saturday night that transit police followed several leads, which included information from the public, to get a name for the person seen in the surveillance video. After evidence was presented to a court commissioner in Prince George’s County, he said, an arrest warrant was issued.

On Tuesday, Metro posted a “wanted” poster via Twitter, saying that Williams was being sought in connection with a kidnapping and armed robbery.

A lawyer with the state public defender’s office for Prince George’s County said Williams, of Southwest Washington, voluntarily turned himself in at the county jail Friday night.

The lawyer, Jason Ricke, said Williams maintains his innocence and says he is not the person shown in the surveillance photos.

Williams’s position is that “he had nothing to do with this incident,” Ricke said.

Ricke said he expected a bond hearing to be held Monday.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.