A man was shot and killed Friday evening by an Anne Arundel County police officer who was answering a call about a domestic assault, authorities said.

The incident occurred about 6 p.m. in the Gambrills area of the county, which is three or four miles southeast of Fort Meade.

According to police, they received a call reporting an assault in the 800 block of Frost Valley Lane. In addition, police said, they were told that “a female was inside a residence screaming for help.”

The arriving officer could hear “a female screaming” inside, police said. The officer went in and a struggle broke out with a man who was there, police said. .

During the struggle, the officer “was in fear for his life,” police said, and fired at least one shot that hit the man in the upper body.

He was taken to a hospital in Baltimore where he died. Police identified him as Gary Petrie. No age or address was given.

Police said the woman from the house was taken to another hospital with injuries resulting from the domestic assault. Her injuries were described as not life-threatening.

Police said the officer has been a member of the force for at least four years. They said the incident was under investigation.

The house where the shooting occurred appears to be on a relatively secluded residential street that is lined with detached two-story houses.

The incident was the second this week in which a police officer in Washington’s Maryland suburbs shot and killed a man after a struggle.

On Monday night, a man was killed in the Landover area of Prince George’s County after a physical confrontation with an officer who had been on routine patrol.

The man, identified as Michael Anthony Bailey, 26, of District Heights first fled from the officer, then resisted efforts to subdue him with a Taser, and finally reached for a handgun in his waistband, the police said.

They said items recovered from Bailey included a ski mask, and a vial that apparently contained PCP.

They said they were looking into the possibility that drugs might have played a role in the man’s actions. .

In a separate incident, police said a Prince George’s officer fired her pistol Thursday in Temple Hills during a confrontation at the scene of a call for a burglary in progress.

When officers arrived at the 3100 block of Good Hope Avenue about 3 a.m., police said, they saw a man flee, hide and reappear. He threw himself to the ground, and when approached appeared to be drawing a gun, police said. Believing he had one, one of the officers fired, police said. The man was not hit.

Inside the house, police said, they found a man who had been stabbed and critically wounded.

Police said the man they had confronted was charged in a warrant in the stabbing.